soltys
  •  soltys
  • 62.6% (Friendly)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2008-06-11T23:13:38Z
Hi,

I have this problem..I have yaf integrated with asp.net membership. When I log in and user has "newbie" rank, he cannot read posts. Forum displays categories only but none of any any topics..
So I made research in admin panel with roles, masks and groups but I don't have any idea where is the clue..

Also I want to ask what difference is between role and group? E.g. if user is registered should he be placed in members group even though his rank is newbie?

I`d be glad for response to my problems 🙂
Sponsor
soltys
  •  soltys
  • 62.6% (Friendly)
2008-06-16T01:57:44Z
Anyone? Any solution ? :cry:
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2008-06-17T23:06:32Z
You're mixing terminologies: "Rank" is just a title and has not nothing to do permission. Roles and Groups are the same thing. Verify that the "Newbie" ROLE has access to read posts in the forum you have questions on.
soltys
  •  soltys
  • 62.6% (Friendly)
2008-06-17T23:37:20Z
Ok,

so here's how is it look like. I haven't done any changes to roles on yaf since installation. I use asp.net membership and register new users on other site then provided with yaf. So..i register new user. He logs in for the first time.Then he hits forum and he doesn't see any topics..just blank categories..When i log in as admin and give this user "member role" everything goes fine..user is now member and can view any topics..

What I want is to give this permissions automaticly..Strane thing is going on when I assign in db user to group. For example i put userid value and group value to yaf_UserGroup. Everything is ok until i log in as this youser on yaf..Data i added to table disappear..

I know it`s bit complicated..but I don't know where's the clue..? 😞
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2008-06-18T00:14:09Z
Go into roles and LINK the membership role ("Newbie") to YAF. Then give that new role proper permissions to the forums.
soltys
  •  soltys
  • 62.6% (Friendly)
2008-06-18T01:42:12Z
Hmm but the point is that I have role called "member" which has also "Is Start" value set true. Access mask for this role is also good.
Problem is that newly created user isn't linked to any role :roll: although he should be..
soltys
  •  soltys
  • 62.6% (Friendly)
2008-06-18T03:38:56Z
Solved it :)
Thanks Jaben
skilesare
2008-08-01T05:04:06Z
This hasn't helped me. I'm have a similar issue.

I have 5 roles listed under Roles:
Administrators(Linked)
Guest(Unlinkable)
Registered(Linked)
admin(Linked)
users(Linked)

Under 'users' I have 'Is Start' Checked.
and under Access, for Test Fourm I have the Access Mas Member Access checked.

Now there are two problems:

1. when my existing users sign in to the forum, they can't see the the forums.
2. When I add them to the user group using the asp.net role manager I'd expect this to be fixed. It isn't.
3. I logged in to the yaf admin and clicked on a user and saw that they were not a user in yaf, so I added them(why I had to do this when yaf should be using the same role provider as my site is strange)
4. Still they cannot see the test forum.

Of course I get all this written out and I have a eureka moment. I opened up fire fox and logged in and everything looked good. I guess the info is written to a cookie or some thing and that is why I saw no change. Keep this in mind if you are battling this problem.

Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2008-08-01T16:00:24Z
So it works now?