f0zzyNUE
  • Posts: 89
  • Joined: 09/09/2010
several users reported the following behavior since we upgraded to v1.9.5RC1:

in 50% of active topics page calls - the "last visit" timestamp is incorrect. it does not contain the timestamp from the last logon but the current time minus a few seconds/minutes... this behavior was not seen previously with v1.9.4.

it seems the session management gets confused sometimes.

this is really annoying - since the forum i have setup gets more users and traffic and it is hard to follow the board when the functionality to display active topics since last logon does not work as expected.

Sponsor
tommy382
  • Posts: 91
  • Joined: 11/04/2008
I'm trying to fix this issue myself. I post a few issues but it seems like the developers aren't working on them or looked at them yet so I'm gonna try to fix this one myself. This issue is actually pretty critical. When that happen, new users can't sign up because the the "verify image" is not displaying. AVATAR images also might not display properly.

The current work around when that happen is to go to Admin-->Maintenance-->Restart App. Then try refresh the browser to see if it fixes it, if not restart one more time. Might take a few restarts to fix it. When Windows Update restarted the IIS process or when you publish new code, it might happen again but the above work-around should fix it again until the next IIS/App reset.

I have an idea on where to fix. I'll post the solution once I verified it working on my site.
cagliostro
  • Posts: 324
  • Joined: 23/08/2010

Guys what is happening latetly here ?

All negative posts about devs not fixing this or that.

The YAF devs are fixing things allright, it just takes time. You can't really expect to post a problem and have it fixed in a day or something, do you ? (still, it happens to be fixed in a sec sometimes).

Relax. YAF is moving a lot faster that before. Don't give all that negative feedback to the devs, it is bad for them. Makes them wonder ...

:-d


tommy382
  • Posts: 91
  • Joined: 11/04/2008
What I said is true. I don't know how bugs are tracked on this project but was expecting maybe a ticket open for each reported bug? Or maybe a confirmation of the bug or "not a defect" confirmation.

I'm not bashing anyone. Nice thing about open source is that I can make the fix myself, if needed. And that is what happening on this issue - all facts.
Underground
  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: 05/06/2009
cagliostro wrote:


Guys what is happening latetly here ?

All negative posts about devs not fixing this or that.

The YAF devs are fixing things allright, it just takes time. You can't really expect to post a problem and have it fixed in a day or something, do you ? (still, it happens to be fixed in a sec sometimes).

Relax. YAF is moving a lot faster that before. Don't give all that negative feedback to the devs, it is bad for them. Makes them wonder ...

:-d


cagliostro, I didn't read the posts like you did I guess. To me it sounded like someone reported a bug and even tried to fix it him/herself. Anayways...

I also reported some issues. Most of them were acknowledged and fixed within the same day. One I didn't get a response to. (about email notification not working. even a showstopper for me, but anyways)

Everyday I get the latest version from the repository and every day I see that new source was checked in. This is really amazing!
It gives me a possitive feeling about the efford what the developpers are putting in the software.
I have thanked them before and I will thank them in the future.

True, with some bug reports I think they should have responded (where they didn't). Because if they don't, I don't know if they ignore it or if they are looking into it.
But I also realize that they get a lot of posts and answereing them also takes a lot of time. And who knows, they get the same issues over and over again.

Also, people are more likely to report a bug than to report their satisfaction. So hereby:
I would like to show my appreciation by saying: thank you developpers! ;-)
(Oh... and yes.... please fix the email notifications 😉 not the digest, but the normal, immediate one)

- Robert
My site containing the YAF forum: Globalcaching.eu 
cagliostro
  • Posts: 324
  • Joined: 23/08/2010
Well, editing posts is nice. Sometimes we correct what we rushed to post.

What i said still stands. Relax and help. Moaning and crying doesn't lead anywhere. Makes the devs upset.

Personally i have a DNN installation waiting for more than 2 months. I wait for 1.5 final. I have all kind of problems with it, and i just wait and try to help make this baby out. I can't tell you how many virgin DNN installations i have made to test YAF 1.4 and 1.5.


Still, i'm GREATFULL to the people that provide this great piece of software for free to me.

--

As i have seen in a UK pub: "Good things happens to those who wait". That was ment for the people waiting 2b served ...

:-d :-d
tha_watcha
  • Posts: 4084
  • Joined: 06/03/2010
Quote:

in 50% of active topics page calls - the "last visit" timestamp is incorrect. it does not contain the timestamp from the last logon but the current time minus a few seconds/minutes... this behavior was not seen previously with v1.9.4.

it seems the session management gets confused sometimes.



I noticed the same Problem when the session gets lost most things doesnt work, like Avatar Images, post/read features. I tried to find the Problem. But i hope Jaben can fix that soon.


Quote:

What I said is true. I don't know how bugs are tracked on this project but was expecting maybe a ticket open for each reported bug?



There is a Bugtracker for that where you can post Bug like this

http://tracker.yetanotherforum.net/ 

UserPostedImage
Jaben
  • Posts: 2544
  • Joined: 09/10/2004
I've looked extensively at this issue. It's actually a bug in the IIS/ASP.NET activation pipeline related to session state "reservation". I improved the problem but the only way to completely eliminate it is remove use of the session completely in the Resource handler.

Here is more information on the problem and others having this issue: http://stackoverflow.com...eadonlysessionstate-hand  and http://stackoverflow.com...sessionstate-not-working 

I'm open to solutions... but the best one appears to be changing how we handle resources and not making them dependent on session variables.
squirrel
  • Posts: 925
  • Joined: 14/01/2010
Sessions have been an IIS problem since the classic ASP days as well. I used to do a lot of development in classic ASP (part of why I still have issue getting a grasp on .NET programming - everything I coded was 'top-down' execution... Anyways, I remember many issues where we had to do most of our 'session' tracking through a process where we tracked the 'initial visit' to the application and did the rest of our tracking locally in the DB. It was too system intensive but it worked to get around MS handling of sessions in IIS...
If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
tommy382
  • Posts: 91
  • Joined: 11/04/2008
Originally Posted by: Jaben

I've looked extensively at this issue. It's actually a bug in the IIS/ASP.NET activation pipeline related to session state "reservation". I improved the problem but the only way to completely eliminate it is remove use of the session completely in the Resource handler.

Here is more information on the problem and others having this issue: http://stackoverflow.com...eadonlysessionstate-hand  and http://stackoverflow.com...sessionstate-not-working 

I'm open to solutions... but the best one appears to be changing how we handle resources and not making them dependent on session variables.


Are you able to come up with a test procedure to make this problem repeatable? The random nature of it makes it hard to debug. If you have the steps to always make YAF ran into this issue, please share.
Users browsing this topic
    Forum Jump  
    • You cannot post new topics in this forum.
    • You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
    • You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
    • You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
    • You cannot create polls in this forum.
    • You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

    About Us

    The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.

    Powered by Resharper Donate with PayPal button

    Project Twitter Updates

    Copyright © YetAnotherForum.NET & Ingo Herbote. All rights reserved