Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline astreib  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 8:04:42 PM(UTC)
astreib

Hi,

I'm planning to migrate an ASP.NET web site into DotNetNuke. The site currently uses YAF (version 1.9.1 based on the yaf.dll) and I am hoping to be able to preserve the existing forums and posting history.

If I use the YAF module for DotNetNuke, what will be involved in migrating the data from the prior, stand-alone YAF installation? I'm hoping of course for a simple export/import, or select/insert, but I'm guessing there will be other issues to consider. Anyone done something like this and willing to offer advice?

Thanks,

Allan
Sponsor
Offline tha_watcha  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 23, 2011 4:37:40 AM(UTC)
tha_watcha

Medals: Medal of Honor: Portal Puzzle Master: Portal Puzzle Master for DNNMedal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.DNN Master: DNN Module ManBug Killer Medal of Honor: Medal for being a kick-ass bug killer!Medal of Honor for the Support King: Support King! Amazing asset to the YAF.NET Community.

Was thanked: 999 time(s) in 860 post(s)
Originally Posted by: astreib Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I'm planning to migrate an ASP.NET web site into DotNetNuke. The site currently uses YAF (version 1.9.1 based on the yaf.dll) and I am hoping to be able to preserve the existing forums and posting history.

If I use the YAF module for DotNetNuke, what will be involved in migrating the data from the prior, stand-alone YAF installation? I'm hoping of course for a simple export/import, or select/insert, but I'm guessing there will be other issues to consider. Anyone done something like this and willing to offer advice?

Thanks,

Allan

I did some basic testing, one part of migrating is very easy because you can use the same database (If backup-ed first).

What i did so far is...
- delete the all folders and files of yaf,
- replaced them with new dnn.
- Executed the dnn installation
- Installed the yaf dnn module.
- and the standalone yaf board is ready to use.

There is only one BIG issue left the current yaf users has to be exported from yaf and imported into dnn, this could been easily done with some sql scripts.
Offline thx1200  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:21:26 AM(UTC)
thx1200

Originally Posted by: tha_watcha Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Thanks,

Allan

I did some basic testing, one part of migrating is very easy because you can use the same database (If backup-ed first).

What i did so far is...

There is only one BIG issue left the current yaf users has to be exported from yaf and imported into dnn, this could been easily done with some sql scripts.

I'm about to do this exact same thing myself as the original poster. Can you elaborate on the user export/import process to DNN? I'm a DNN noob, but pretty handy with YAF (customized some source code and poked around in the db, anyway). It seems YAF hashes the passwords. That's great. But is it the same hash and salt (or lack thereof) as DNN? Will users need to reset passwords? Are there some special DNN user creation considerations (ie, poke other tables than just a flat user table)? Some clarification on this matter would greatly help me!! Thanks.
Offline itay25a  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:15:41 AM(UTC)
itay25a

Guys,
What about the original URLs and the Hostname of the stand alone YAF ?
Google already index the URLs and the Hostname
What I need to do when I upgrade to YAF DNN Module ?
Thanks
Offline itay25a  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:47:28 AM(UTC)
itay25a

Edited by user Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:54:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline bbobb  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2011 1:09:26 PM(UTC)
bbobb

Medals: Medal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.Medal of Honor for a YAF Database Key Player: Holds the key to YAF database. Bow down!Medal of Honor for the Support King: Given for answering tons of support questions and generally helping the community.Medal of Honor for the Support Knight: Given to a community member who has answered lots of support questions.

Was thanked: 281 time(s) in 248 post(s)
itay25a Offline , YAF doesn't have dot bug for ages.Smile
Offline ruek23  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:05:01 AM(UTC)
ruek23

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: thx1200 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Thanks,

Allan

What i did so far is...

I'm about to do this exact same thing myself as the original poster. Can you elaborate on the user export/import process to DNN? I'm a DNN noob, but pretty handy with YAF (customized some source code and poked around in the db, anyway). It seems YAF hashes the passwords. That's great. But is it the same hash and salt (or lack thereof) as DNN? Will users need to reset passwords? Are there some special DNN user creation considerations (ie, poke other tables than just a flat user table)? Some clarification on this matter would greatly help me!! Thanks.

Hi THX1200

I'm trying to do the same and move from the stand-alone forum to the DNN module.

To start I did exactly the same as the_watcha and got the module installed and pointing to the forum filled with all current posts.

Now I'm going to get the users moved across from yaf into DNN. I should be able to get a script for this done tonight and if it works I will post it here.

Offline lfosdal  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 7, 2011 10:17:23 AM(UTC)
lfosdal

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I am not sure if I understand how the authentication integration works between YAF and DNN. With DNN integration, will you have to migrate existing users from YAF to DNN. After that is done, how are new users managed? Will new users exist in DNN alone, ie the old YAF user table is inactive? How do one migrate in such a way that passwords survice the migration?

Do you need to migrate all users to DNN, or is it sufficient to migrate those that are running the site?
- There are no stupid questions.
Offline ruek23  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2011 2:43:26 AM(UTC)
ruek23

Originally Posted by: lfosdal Go to Quoted Post
I am not sure if I understand how the authentication integration works between YAF and DNN. With DNN integration, will you have to migrate existing users from YAF to DNN. After that is done, how are new users managed? Will new users exist in DNN alone, ie the old YAF user table is inactive? How do one migrate in such a way that passwords survice the migration?

Do you need to migrate all users to DNN, or is it sufficient to migrate those that are running the site?

I did this and completed but the only issue I had was the passwords Sad

as I have a fairly small user count at 118 it wasn't hard to send a bulk mail saying that people will have to reset their password before login.
Offline tha_watcha  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2011 5:26:26 AM(UTC)
tha_watcha

Medals: Medal of Honor: Portal Puzzle Master: Portal Puzzle Master for DNNMedal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.DNN Master: DNN Module ManBug Killer Medal of Honor: Medal for being a kick-ass bug killer!Medal of Honor for the Support King: Support King! Amazing asset to the YAF.NET Community.

Originally Posted by: ruek23 Go to Quoted Post

as I have a fairly small user count at 118 it wasn't hard to send a bulk mail saying that people will have to reset their password before login.

So you build the sql scripts to import the yaf users to dnn? Can you send them to me? And i see what i can do, and we could create a generic import Method for that.
Offline ruek23  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2011 6:21:31 AM(UTC)
ruek23

So you build the sql scripts to import the yaf users to dnn? Can you send them to me? And i see what i can do, and we could create a generic import Method for that.

Will do... I have the scripts at home (currently at "work"Wink
Offline ruek23  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2011 12:35:45 PM(UTC)
ruek23

PM'd the script I used to you...

I don't think it's the final one as I had to do some tweeks but heres what I have
Offline tha_watcha  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 14, 2011 5:31:58 AM(UTC)
tha_watcha

PM'd the script I used to you...

I don't think it's the final one as I had to do some tweeks but heres what I have

Ok i test your sql Script. The Problem with the Passwords can not be solved since the Passwords and the PasswordSalt are stored with the Application id (Maybe it would work with a defined machine Key in yaf and the same one in dnn) and dont work on the converted dnn app.

It looks like the only solution is that the user has to use the Reset Password Function to get a new Password.

I attached the sql script, if someone wants to use it
File Attachment(s):
YAFDNNUSerImportSQL.zip (2kb) downloaded 48 time(s).
Offline ruek23  
#14 Posted : Monday, March 14, 2011 6:31:32 AM(UTC)
ruek23

Ok i test your sql Script. The Problem with the Passwords can not be solved since the Passwords and the PasswordSalt are stored with the Application id (Maybe it would work with a defined machine Key in yaf and the same one in dnn) and dont work on the converted dnn app.

It looks like the only solution is that the user has to use the Reset Password Function to get a new Password.

I attached the sql script, if someone wants to use it

Can I just mention that this will only work on a fresh install of DNN... The script contains hardcoded values for PortalID and the 2 base User roles of Registered and Subscriber (1 & 2)

If you want it to work you may have to find out what the PortalID and RoleIDs are.
Offline 3KyNoX  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:41:02 AM(UTC)
3KyNoX

Hello,

First, Thanks for this usefull post but i get stuck using my main Yaf Forum inside DNN after installation;

I did all the first parts :

- backed up my existing yaf tables (deathblow.bak) from sql server management studio
- restored it on a fresh 'deathblow' db from sql server management studio
- delete all folders and files of yaf,
- executed the dnn installation on deathblow db
- created new users while dnn installation (hostadmin and siteadmin)
- installed the yaf dnn module.
- added a forum page in dnn
- installed yaf module on this page (at this point, yaf wizard asking for web.config yaf password, etc...) --> completed
- executed without any errors the script to import users inside dnn tables (changed script to point on 'deathblow' db) from sql server management studio
- opened dnn forum page while logged at hostadmin

At this point, there is a logout and i get the following yaf error :

Quote:
Error
A system error happened. Thanks to contact administrator.
Continue Link...

After it oppen the forum with correct topics and forums inside but unlogged at this point.

Then, I try to log back hostadmin account and go back on forum and getting same error.

Also, when i try to reset the password of an imported user i get this error too :

Quote:
There was an error retrieving your password. No password was sent.

Here's the script detail :
Quote:

begin tran

DECLARE @ApplicationId uniqueidentifier

--Get DNN .NET Membership ApplicationID
SELECT @ApplicationId = ApplicationId
FROM [DeathBlow].[dbo].[aspnet_Applications]

INSERT [DeathBlow].[dbo].[aspnet_Users] (ApplicationId,UserId,UserName,LoweredUserName,IsAnonymous,LastActivityDate)
SELECT @ApplicationId, m.Userid, m.Username, m.UsernameLwd,0,
CASE
WHEN m.LastActivity IS NULL THEN getdate()
ELSE m.LastActivity
END
from [DeathBlow].dbo.yaf_prov_Membership m
Left JOIN [DeathBlow].[dbo].[aspnet_Membership] mm on m.UserID = mm.UserID
Where mm.UserID IS NULL

--INSERT into DNN .NET Membership Membership table the required Information
--from yaf membership
INSERT [DeathBlow].[dbo].[aspnet_Membership] (ApplicationId,UserId,[Password],PasswordFormat,PasswordSalt,Email,LoweredEmail,PasswordQuestion,PasswordAnswer,IsApproved,IsLockedOut,LastLoginDate,LastPasswordChangedDate,LastLockoutDate,FailedPasswordAttemptCount,FailedPasswordAttemptWindowStart,FailedPasswordAnswerAttemptCount,FailedPasswordAnswerAttemptWindowStart,Comment,CreateDate)
SELECT @ApplicationId,m.UserID,m.[Password],m.PasswordFormat,m.PasswordSalt,m.Email,m.EmailLwd,m.PasswordQuestion,m.PasswordAnswer,m.IsApproved,0,
CASE
WHEN m.LastLogin IS NULL THEN '1754-01-01 00:00:00.000'
ELSE m.LastLogin
END,
CASE
WHEN m.LastPasswordChange IS NULL THEN '1754-01-01 00:00:00.000'
ELSE m.LastPasswordChange
END,
CASE
WHEN m.LastLockOut IS NULL THEN '1754-01-01 00:00:00.000'
ELSE m.LastLockOut
END,0,'1754-01-01 00:00:00.000',0,'1754-01-01 00:00:00.000',m.Comment,m.Joined
FROM [DeathBlow].[dbo].[yaf_prov_membership] m
Left JOIN [DeathBlow].[dbo].[aspnet_Membership] mm on m.UserID = mm.UserID
Where mm.UserID IS NULL

INSERT [DeathBlow].[dbo].[Users] ([Username],[FirstName],[LastName] ,[IsSuperUser],[Email],[DisplayName] ,[IsDeleted],[CreatedByUserID],[CreatedOnDate],[LastModifiedByUserID],[LastModifiedOnDate],[UpdatePassword])
SELECT u.Name,u.Name,'',0,u.Email,u.DisplayName,0,-1,u.Joined,-1,LastVisit, 1
FROM [DeathBlow].[dbo].[yaf_User] u
JOIN [DeathBlow].[dbo].[yaf_prov_membership] m on m.UserID = u.ProviderUserKey
LEFT JOIN [DeathBlow].[dbo].[Users] uu on m.username = uu.username
WHERE uu.UserID IS NULL

INSERT [DeathBlow].[dbo].[UserPortals] (UserId,PortalId,CreatedDate,Authorised)
SELECT u.Userid,0,u.[CreatedOnDate],1
FROM [DeathBlow].[dbo].[Users] u
LEFT JOIN [DeathBlow].[dbo].[UserPortals] up on u.userid = up.userid
where u.UserID != 1
AND up.userid is null

INSERT [DeathBlow].[dbo].[UserRoles] (UserID,RoleID,IsTrialUsed,CreatedByUserID,CreatedOnDate,LastModifiedByUserID,LastModifiedOnDate)
SELECT u.UserID, 1, 1, -1,u.CreatedOnDate,-1,u.LastModifiedOnDate
LEFT JOIN [DeathBlow].[dbo].[UserRoles] ur ON u.UserID = ur.UserID
AND ur.ROLEID = 1
WHERE u.UserID != 1
AND ur.UserID IS NULL

INSERT [DeathBlow].[dbo].[UserRoles] (UserID,RoleID,IsTrialUsed,CreatedByUserID,CreatedOnDate,LastModifiedByUserID,LastModifiedOnDate)
SELECT u.UserID, 2, 1, -1,u.CreatedOnDate,-1,u.LastModifiedOnDate
LEFT JOIN [DeathBlow].[dbo].[UserRoles] ur ON u.UserID = ur.UserID
AND ur.ROLEID = 2
WHERE u.UserID != 1
AND ur.UserID IS NULL

Commit

Using DNN 05.06.01 and YAF_DNN5_1.95.5-4750

Thanks for help.

Suggestion : Once done, maybe it could be great to add the feature inside Yaf DNN Module (possibility to import users and forum content).

Rss Feed  Atom Feed