kenshin138
2009-05-15T15:27:03Z
Hello, seems pretty common, but I am having massive problems getting this forum setup on my dotnetnuke site. I am very new to .Net in general (more of a PHP person) but really want to see if YAF will work to replace the very featureless default Forum module.

Thing is, I've now reached the end of my wits with trying to get this thing going. The documentation seems very cluttered and/or just wrong. Here is what I have:

Server: Hosted (.Net 2.0.5, IIS6, SQL 2008 database)
DNN: 4.9.3
YAF: 1.91.5

I have uploaded the module and edited my web.config file as shown:
  <configSections>
    <sectionGroup name="dotnetnuke">
      <!-- the requirePermission attribute will cause a syntax warning - please ignore - it is required for Medium Trust support-->
      <section name="data" requirePermission="false" type="DotNetNuke.Framework.Providers.ProviderConfigurationHandler, DotNetNuke" />
      <section name="logging" requirePermission="false" type="DotNetNuke.Framework.Providers.ProviderConfigurationHandler, DotNetNuke" />
      <section name="scheduling" requirePermission="false" type="DotNetNuke.Framework.Providers.ProviderConfigurationHandler, DotNetNuke" />
      <section name="htmlEditor" requirePermission="false" type="DotNetNuke.Framework.Providers.ProviderConfigurationHandler, DotNetNuke" />
      <section name="navigationControl" requirePermission="false" type="DotNetNuke.Framework.Providers.ProviderConfigurationHandler, DotNetNuke" />
      <section name="searchIndex" requirePermission="false" type="DotNetNuke.Framework.Providers.ProviderConfigurationHandler, DotNetNuke" />
      <section name="searchDataStore" requirePermission="false" type="DotNetNuke.Framework.Providers.ProviderConfigurationHandler, DotNetNuke" />
      <section name="friendlyUrl" requirePermission="false" type="DotNetNuke.Framework.Providers.ProviderConfigurationHandler, DotNetNuke" />
      <section name="caching" requirePermission="false" type="DotNetNuke.Framework.Providers.ProviderConfigurationHandler, DotNetNuke" />
      <section name="authentication" requirePermission="false" type="DotNetNuke.Framework.Providers.ProviderConfigurationHandler, DotNetNuke" />
      <section name="members" requirePermission="false" type="DotNetNuke.Framework.Providers.ProviderConfigurationHandler, DotNetNuke" />
      <section name="roles" requirePermission="false" type="DotNetNuke.Framework.Providers.ProviderConfigurationHandler, DotNetNuke" />
      <section name="profiles" requirePermission="false" type="DotNetNuke.Framework.Providers.ProviderConfigurationHandler, DotNetNuke" />
    </sectionGroup>
<section name="yafnet" requirePermission="false" type="yaf.SectionHandler,yaf" />
  </configSections>
<yafnet configSource="dnnyafnet.config"/>
  <connectionStrings>

Now is where I get lost, the instructions say to:

Quote:

3) Copy the dnnyafnet.config file to the root of your DNN installation.

However, this file doesn't exist anywhere in the download. I've extracted all ZIP files and searched, its nowhere. I did some searching and found a thread that listed an "example" of the file but I'm not sure its correct. What I have is shown below, its at root along with my web.config file:

<yafnet>
  <connstr>user id=DBUSER;pwd=DBUSERPASS;data source=DBSERVER;initial catalog=DBNAME;timeout=90</connstr>
  <root>/DesktopModules/yaf/</root>
  <uploaddir>~/upload/</uploaddir>
  <theme>yafpro.xml</theme>
  <!-- Enable URL Rewriting is NOT available with DNN -->
  <enableurlrewriting>false</enableurlrewriting>
</yafnet>

With the items in caps filled in with the same entries that are in my web.config file. When I try to run the install for YAF I get a Runtime Error.

Doing more searching I have seen instructions for installing this to have any of the following:

1. Something about a .dll file.
2. Something about moving BIN files.
3. Something about manually running a SQL script.
4. And so on...

So, help would be appreciated. It cannot possibly be THIS complicated to get a simple forum up and going can it? The thing that sticks out to me the most is the missing dnnyafnet.config file.

Thanks!

Sponsor
kenshin138
2009-05-15T16:08:10Z
Oops, I should also mention this is the error that I get on the module when I add it to a page:

Error: YAF is currently unavailable.
DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: The file '/DesktopModules/YetAnotherForumDotNet/DotNetNukeModule.ascx.cs' does not exist. ---> System.Web.HttpParseException: The file '/DesktopModules/YetAnotherForumDotNet/DotNetNukeModule.ascx.cs' does not exist. ---> System.Web.HttpParseException: The file '/DesktopModules/YetAnotherForumDotNet/DotNetNukeModule.ascx.cs' does not exist. ---> System.Web.HttpException: The file '/DesktopModules/YetAnotherForumDotNet/DotNetNukeModule.ascx.cs' does not exist. at System.Web.UI.Util.CheckVirtualFileExists(VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessCodeFile(VirtualPath codeFileVirtualPath) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessMainDirectiveAttribute(String deviceName, String name, String value, IDictionary parseData) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessException(Exception ex) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseStringInternal(String text, Encoding fileEncoding) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseString(String text, VirtualPath virtualPath, Encoding fileEncoding) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseString(String text, VirtualPath virtualPath, Encoding fileEncoding) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseReader(StreamReader reader, VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseFile(String physicalPath, VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseInternal() at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.Parse() at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.Parse(ICollection referencedAssemblies, VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.Compilation.BaseTemplateBuildProvider.get_CodeCompilerType() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvider.GetCompilerTypeFromBuildProvider(BuildProvider buildProvider) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.ProcessBuildProviders() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild() at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResult(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) at System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.LoadControl(VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.LoadControl(String virtualPath) at DotNetNuke.UI.Skins.Skin.InjectModule(Control objPane, ModuleInfo objModule, PortalSettings PortalSettings) --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
Boskone
2009-05-16T03:19:14Z
I appears that the yaf_dnn interface you are using is for YAF 1.9.3. as it is looking for the .cs file.

It would be much better if you could use 1.9.3 rather than the 1.9.1 version.

Boskone - A DotNetNuke user.
RDSCC 
kenshin138
2009-05-16T05:15:35Z
Interesting. I blew everything away and started from scratch and am having the same issue. I have downloaded the file called "YAF-v1.9.3-FINAL-DNN-NET20.zip" from the Sourceforge link on the main website. Looking at that zip file though, there are no .cs files, just the normal .ascx files.

Also of note, I have always done my install using the zip file listed above, yet when I look at my host dashboard it says "YetAnotherForumDotNet 01.91.05"

EDIT:

After thinking on what you were saying, I blew away my installation and instead installed from the 1.9.1 ZIP file, and everything is working normally now. Which is fine for me.

Though...am I correct that YAF does not have a "new posts since last visit" button?
Boskone
2009-05-17T03:24:04Z
Quote:

Though...am I correct that YAF does not have a "new posts since last visit" button?

Yes you are correct on that.

The 1.9.3 version does not have the yaf_dnn interface included yet, and does not install like a normal module would. For now it is a manual install.

I am glad you got it working for you thought.
Boskone - A DotNetNuke user.
RDSCC 
mddubs
2009-05-17T04:03:03Z
I'm not sure about the DNN module, but to clarify for others who may be reading this, YAF definitely has a "read new posts" functionality. It's the "Active Topics" button in the toolbar and you can get the latest posts since your last login, or a variety of other times.
UserPostedImage 
www.bunkerhollow.com  | www.careercomputing.com 
When I post fp:mddubs in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting. (Yes I stole this off Mek 🙂, who stole this off Ederon 🙂 )
kenshin138
2009-05-17T09:02:42Z
Ahh yes, the Active Topics button does indeed work like that. I am used to phpBB and it too has an "active topics" but functions differently. So it seems to just be different wording.

Thanks!

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.