Zero2Cool
2014-04-18T14:45:54Z
I noticed when the new YAF site was made live that the shoutbox shortly was removed. Was this because it was not found useful or because when you click FlyOut it would reload the entire page?

i am having the latter issue with my Visual Studio 2013 bootstrap template YAF website at PackerPeople.com ... I created a standalone YAF website and the flyout works fine, it is something with the template that is causing the entire page to reload.

Sponsor
tha_watcha
2014-04-18T17:04:28Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I noticed when the new YAF site was made live that the shoutbox shortly was removed. Was this because it was not found useful or because when you click FlyOut it would reload the entire page?

No, it was working fine. But i noticed it was not really used, but it is still really db heavy. The auto refresh makes db calls every few seconds, which is a huge problem the more users are online.

I think in your case there is a problem with the url rewriter of the 2013 template, but i hadn't have any time yet to look in to it.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2014-04-19T13:52:19Z
I spent some time last night trying to figure it out and just can't get it. Instead of using the shoutbox for the Chat, I might go back to using the Java app instead. The only thing I don't like about that is if you have a common YAF name like - jacob, someone on the IRC might have it registered already.

Edit, scrap that idea. the java used is deemed out of date and security threat lol

As for the YAF ShoutBox ... how many users sit at the forum list page? I think most users come to the root domain, see shoutbox, then navigate into a forum category to view topics, to which the shoutbox is not visible therefore diminishing the hits to the database.

I use the ShoutBox for as a chat on GameDay and we've had 30+ users IN the chat, plus more on the site and there was no lag or anything. I suppose most sites would probably have a LOT more than that though.

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.