bellavec
  •  bellavec
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • YAF Camper Topic Starter
2012-10-19T16:14:21Z
Hi there!

I'd need some information about the smilies, I tried and made a search in the forum but couldn't find anything useful: I'm sorry if the topic had been discussed already.

So, at the moment in our forum (http://vincopoker.com/forum) we only have a few smilies, and I would like to add new customized ones.

Under Administration>Smilies I see a list of smilies and there are the buttons "Add smiley" and "Import smiley pack", but I couldn't use these at all: I'm only allowed to import two .pak files (and I don't know where these come from) or to add smilies from the eusa.pak pack.

Besides, I cannot choose random "emotions" for the smilies, but I'm forced to use square brackets [ ]. This is quite annoying, and I would like to remove this rule.

So, the question is: given that I have a set of .jpg and .gif ready to be usen, how can I add those to my forum? Is there a way to set the emotions I want for them, no brackets? (there should be, since here 🙂 works!)

Thanks a lot in advance,
Regards
bellavec
Sponsor
tha_watcha
2012-10-20T08:02:49Z
Originally Posted by: bellavec 

Under Administration>Smilies I see a list of smilies and there are the buttons "Add smiley" and "Import smiley pack", but I couldn't use these at all: I'm only allowed to import two .pak files (and I don't know where these come from) or to add smilies from the eusa.pak pack.

if you want to import Smilies from pak files you need to manually upload them to the .../images/emoticons folder of yaf

Originally Posted by: bellavec 

Besides, I cannot choose random "emotions" for the smilies, but I'm forced to use square brackets [ ]. This is quite annoying, and I would like to remove this rule.

So, the question is: given that I have a set of .jpg and .gif ready to be usen, how can I add those to my forum? Is there a way to set the emotions I want for them, no brackets? (there should be, since here 🙂 works!)

If you want to manually add new Smiley Images you also need to upload them to the .../images/emoticons folder.

The Bracket rule is required to prevent text from converting accidentally in to smilies when not wanted. This can't be removed, unless you modify the source.

UserPostedImage
bellavec
  •  bellavec
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2012-10-20T15:27:58Z
Hey the_watcha,

thanks a lot for your reply. Just a last thing: since we definitely need to remove the brackets rule, could you give me a hint about what we should modify in the source, and how? I'll request this to my programmers, but it's probably going to be way easier if I can give em some more information....

As a general feedback: I don't know if you had many opinions stating the countrary, but I think you may think about removing the rule for the future upgrades of your forum. After all, if the forum admin is smart enough not to choose ambiguous Emotions, then he should be free to choose what he thinks he's best. If he's not... well, dumb forum admin leads to dumb forum anyway :D

Thanks again!
Cheers,
bellavec
tha_watcha
2012-10-20T15:59:59Z
if you want to remove it you need to change the file ..\pages\admin\smilies_edit.ascx.cs by removing the following code

if (!new Regex(@"\[.+\]").IsMatch(code))
            {
                this.PageContext.AddLoadMessage(this.GetText("ADMIN_SMILIES_EDIT", "MSG_CODE_BRACK"));
                return;
            }

and you need to recompile yaf with Visual Studio or with the build.bat file.

P.S: there is a way to bypass this check, you can use the import function with pak files which are simple text files

msp_wub.gif=+:Wub=+:[wub]

image name=+:descripton=+:bbcode
UserPostedImage
bellavec
  •  bellavec
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2012-10-20T17:48:35Z
Damn you're good :cheesy: Thank you so much, I'll give it a try!

Cheers,
bellavec
Zero2Cool
2013-06-13T16:34:31Z
I wanted to change make 🙂 flip to a smiley but no dice. I'll have to check into changing the source like mentioned above.

Edit, wtf, it flips to a smiley here??? :arrow: :arrowd: :arrowl: :arrowu:

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.