mrbruce
  •  mrbruce
  • 59% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2008-12-15T06:06:19Z
I'm building a (static) website for a very small family-run company, and we've decided to use YAF as a private, family-only forum (less than a dozen users).

Would it be better to setup YAF as a subdirectory (http://www.MySite.com/YAF/) or as a subdomain (http://YAF.MySite.com/)?

I've downloaded the YAF v.1.9.3 RC2, and I'm using VS2008 on a completely fresh install using the BIN version.

ALSO: I've found the install.txt file in the downloadable, as well as the Installation Instructions & FAQ, and "Embedding YAF inside and existing asp.net webstite" (sic) and I'm still confused :roll: .... If I understand correctly, the /BIN directory and the /App_Code need to get moved to the root directory... is that correct? What about the five .config files? Do they get moved to the root too or do they stay in place?

Any direction or clarification would be greatly appreciated!

~ Bruce
Sponsor
Mek
  •  Mek
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2008-12-15T09:31:22Z
if its static i'd probably do neither 🙂 Just to confuse you.
I'd edit default.aspx into forum.aspx (just edit the file and just the file accordingly). Then just have your static pages along side it like default.html etc...
Failing that go with subdomain. Path of least resistance and all that.

UserPostedImage 

"It's a case of RTFM.. the only problem being we don't have a manual!"

When I post FP:Mek in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting. (Yes I stole this off Ederon 🙂 )
mrbruce
  •  mrbruce
  • 59% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2008-12-15T09:41:17Z
Ya know... sometimes... when someone provides an elegant and simple solution to something one has completely overthought... one feels very, very foolish.

:oops:

Thanks for the prompt response and good advice!

~ Bruce
Mek
  •  Mek
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2008-12-15T09:42:59Z
haha happens to me all the time mate. Just happy to be the one actually coming up with the simple idea for a change.

UserPostedImage 

"It's a case of RTFM.. the only problem being we don't have a manual!"

When I post FP:Mek in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting. (Yes I stole this off Ederon 🙂 )

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.