rumblepup
  •  rumblepup
  • 52.4% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2008-11-14T06:21:51Z
Some things I've noticed that if you guys just put a quick eye to, you might knock this forum out of the park.

Dynamic Descriptions:
I know the title tag is dynamic, but adding a description tag, like under the categories and forums, would help ALOT for SEO purposes. Then, on an actual thread, use maybe the first 150 characters of the thread for the description.

Total RSS FEED. Google will accept well formed RSS feeds for sitemaps. It would also be cool for ping services as well. However, some kind of automation would be cool as well. It's tough building those things by hand.

Friendlier SEF urls. You guys have done a great job on this already, but it could be taken one step further. I realize that the yaf_topics, yaf_posts help in branding, but if those could go away 🙂

Thanks for the great forum. As it is, it works awesome.
Sponsor
doxa
2010-10-20T14:42:25Z
is this dynamic description and keywords working on 1.9.5 RC?
Running YAF.NET v2.0 Final at: https://blueway.app 
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2010-10-21T02:17:59Z
Yeah, a little puzzled. I get the SiteMap XML feed -- obviously would be a good addition (and not all that complex, honestly). But the Description is dynamic. Take a look at this thread... it has a dynamic description meta tag as well as keywords.

Also, in v1.9.5 -- you can remove the yaf_ start to the urls by making a simple change in the AppSettings and modifying the regex in UrlRewriter.config.
cagliostro
2010-10-21T03:02:38Z
rumblepup wrote:

Friendlier SEF urls. You guys have done a great job on this already, but it could be taken one step further. I realize that the yaf_topics, yaf_posts help in branding, but if those could go away 🙂

Friendlier to who ? If for seach engines, they don't mind. For users, they don't read the urls.

What could be done, is make them SHORTER. Still i think the urls are SEO ok.

cagliostro
2010-10-24T07:07:56Z
Jaben wrote:

Also, in v1.9.5 -- you can remove the yaf_ start to the urls by making a simple change in the AppSettings and modifying the regex in UrlRewriter.config.

Some caution to people that will change this:

If you change your URLs, then your whole website/forum will be dropped from search engines and major changes will happen. Your new urls will be indexed, sometimes for good and sometimes for bad, you may or may not rank again for your keywords.

Bookmarks also are gone (backlinks).

The changes could infuence your website for more than 6 months.
doxa
2010-11-22T09:15:52Z
is it possible also adding rel and canonical tags ?
Running YAF.NET v2.0 Final at: https://blueway.app 

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.