demione
  •  demione
  • 54.2% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2008-09-30T15:59:02Z
My users are requesting the ability to enable attachments. I've enabled the setting using the admin page, and that does make the 'attach' button visible. However, whenever you try to actually upload a file, I get a web server error which says it's not possible to upload to the specified directory because of permissions issues.

Sorry to sound like a noob but it'd been a long time since I've had to go in to the server via ftp and manually change permissions around -- can anybody walk me through what I'd need to do in order to get this working?

Thanks!
Sponsor
test2005
2008-09-30T18:29:55Z
Make sure your user mask allow adding attachments.

The permission error needs to be addressed in IIS. Change the permission to the upload directory to read/write. If you don't have access to IIS settings, change the "Use File Table" setting to store uploaded files in the database.

.....the man in black fled across the desert..........and the gunslinger followed.....
demione
  •  demione
  • 54.2% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2008-09-30T21:36:44Z
test2005 wrote:

Make sure your user mask allow adding attachments.

The permission error needs to be addressed in IIS. Change the permission to the upload directory to read/write. If you don't have access to IIS settings, change the "Use File Table" setting to store uploaded files in the database.

right, i'm on a managed provider and there's no way they're letting me within a mile of their IIS, so it looks like the file table will have to be it. i' always wary of putting binaries in a database though -- it just seems like a bad idea to me.

are there any scaling issues i should worry about when using the file table? for example if it contains more than 10,000 rows each containing a file of 1 meg or larger? if so, is there a recommended size i enforce my users to stay within?
test2005
2008-09-30T23:35:35Z
Obviously, the more larger files you have, the harder the server will have to work. If your users are uploading 1MB files daily, I don't think a forum is the place for that (IE: 10,000 is a bit excessive for a forum).

I run the file table on my forums and generally get 2 or 3, 8-10MB files a week and the server has no problem.

I'd use the YAF default setting for starters and see how it goes. You can always increase or decrease the size later.

.....the man in black fled across the desert..........and the gunslinger followed.....