jonadminnoob
2008-06-09T23:40:02Z
firstly as it's my first post, Hi all

secondly i have just been made an admin of a new web site that uses yetanotherforum 1.9.1.8

as i'm a noob concerning the admin features of yetanotherforum (and generally a noob at admining with any other forum software in all honesty), I was wondering if there is a tutorial or walk through of the admin features and their correct use? i had a look at the wiki but unless i'm being dim (entirely possible) i couldn't see anything specific??
Sponsor
dbowler
2008-06-13T12:09:28Z
In the same situation. I need some kind of guide that explains how the security groups, user groups etc work. There is very little information at all in the wiki about how to perform day-to-day administrative tasks. I created categories and forums, but it is not clear on how to create groups of people who can see each category, or forum. Just a lot of little simple questions, but there is no user guide to speak of that I can find.
jonadminnoob
2008-06-15T22:31:42Z
i assume that's a no then 😞
dbowler
2008-06-16T06:51:49Z
Guess so...

I guess its down to trial and error to figure stuff out... Sounds fun! :shock:
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2008-06-16T13:52:18Z
I understand the sentiment -- I'm as frustrated as you about it at times. But there is not much help with thing around here. I don't have time to do documentation right now as I have to work for a living and still find time to move this project forward in addition to answering support questions daily on here.
jonadminnoob
2008-06-17T23:17:29Z
Hi Jaben, can see from your reply you're frustrations, didn't want to sound whiney and appreciate you have a real world life as well... as i figure things out i will try and upload info to the wiki, perhaps you can do the same dbowler and we can help out?
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2008-06-18T00:17:27Z
The easiest thing I could do is make a screen capture flash movie which would explain basic admin functions.

I'll try to do that here this weekend as my niece is in town for a couple of days.
dbowler
2008-06-18T07:02:25Z
That would be awesome Jaben. My greatest need is basic permissions. I would like to create different user groups that I can specify which catagories are visible to each group. I want to disable the ability for people to register since I'll be creating each account... my plan was just to remove the register link from the nav.
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2008-06-18T11:38:05Z
Host Settings->Disable New Registrations
jonadminnoob
2008-06-19T00:54:14Z
thanks jaben the flash movie sounds like a great idea