paerison
  •  paerison
  • 56.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Camper Topic Starter
2014-09-09T01:08:09Z
I have iis7.5, MSSQL 2012 express, Visual Studio 2013 Express Web
YAF installs just fine, but I wanted to add something to the profiles page, so I played with the aspx/ascx thinking it was like asp that I've been used to for years... not so much... so I installed visual studio, github, and cloned it to my desktop.

The errors abound with missing DLL references and the like... I would ask "what am I doing wrong" but I think a shorter list might be "what am I doing right"

I am only marginally familiar with C#

I would presume that it should compile unaltered out of the box

any assistance/guidance would be appreciated.

Telling me to go to college for C# programming is not useful advice...
Sponsor
tha_watcha
2014-09-09T08:47:59Z
There are some external libraries which are automatically downloaded via nuget. You need to have the nuget package manager installed, but i'm not sure if it also works with VS Express
UserPostedImage
paerison
  •  paerison
  • 56.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Camper Topic Starter
2014-09-10T21:56:16Z
update, I did get nuget to work and successfully compiled in Express 2013... Sorry for the delay in response.
Note: Run the BATCH files from a CMD prompt before opening the solution file
paerison
  •  paerison
  • 56.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Camper Topic Starter
2014-09-11T02:30:33Z
update to the update... it compiles and runs in the IDE ->> IIS Express/port:xxxx >> http://localhost:50165

when I move the DLLs to the production IIS server, it breaks... nothing I can put my finger on though...

With some of the changes to profile and the fact that the alpha filters for member search rung into full screen monstors, it might have something to do there... why wouldn't it work just the same I wonder.

I looked at the applicationhost.config from IIS Express, nothing jumped out as being overtly obvious...

If anyone has run into this and can save me days of headache, it would be appreciated.
tha_watcha
2014-09-11T10:35:35Z
Originally Posted by: paerison 

update to the update... it compiles and runs in the IDE ->> IIS Express/port:xxxx >> http://localhost:50165

when I move the DLLs to the production IIS server, it breaks... nothing I can put my finger on though...

With some of the changes to profile and the fact that the alpha filters for member search rung into full screen monstors, it might have something to do there... why wouldn't it work just the same I wonder.

I looked at the applicationhost.config from IIS Express, nothing jumped out as being overtly obvious...

If anyone has run into this and can save me days of headache, it would be appreciated.



What errors did you get exactly. Without knowing what error i would guess you have modified some files and then forgot to copy all updated files to the production. Have you updated all dlls and if you modified any ascx files?
UserPostedImage
paerison
  •  paerison
  • 56.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Camper Topic Starter
2014-09-11T18:24:19Z
Originally Posted by: tha_watcha 

What errors did you get exactly. Without knowing what error i would guess you have modified some files and then forgot to copy all updated files to the production. Have you updated all dlls and if you modified any ascx files?



That's just it, no errors per sae... just an odd behavior, as described... I just installed VC Pro 2013 Student, will try recompiling and report back
paerison
  •  paerison
  • 56.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Camper Topic Starter
2014-09-11T18:50:48Z
this is what it does in prod
paerison attached the following image(s):
paerison
  •  paerison
  • 56.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Camper Topic Starter
2014-09-11T19:08:29Z
Ok, so I might be a tard... I looks like SQL2012 took a dump, re-installing services now.
tha_watcha
2014-09-11T19:08:56Z
That looks like some css issues ( missing files). Does the browser console shows any error messages?
UserPostedImage
paerison
  •  paerison
  • 56.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Camper Topic Starter
2014-09-11T19:16:44Z
Originally Posted by: tha_watcha 

That looks like some css issues ( missing files). Does the browser console shows any error messages?



So apparently there are parts of SQL2008 that are REQUIRED by SQL2012....

Once again, thank you bill gates.

Hint found here >> SQL Server 2012 stops running after setup files are copied 
paerison
  •  paerison
  • 56.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Camper Topic Starter
2014-09-12T17:25:07Z
that did not solve the problem...
I created tgdata-dev and uploaded everything...

I think it was a PEBCAK error...

YAF Compiled in DEBUG MODE.
Recompile in RELEASE MODE to remove this information:


but, no more CSS like error... mind you, I uploaded the ENTIRE C:\Users\user\Documents\GitHub\YAFNET\yafsrc\YetAnotherForum.NET to the server...

so i'm not sure if it is site specific (iis7), file specific (something was missing), or compile specific...
paerison
  •  paerison
  • 56.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Camper Topic Starter
2014-09-12T17:50:18Z
ok, so I removed the "extra" directories that were NOT in the production server which came from the "stable release"
problem re-produced

so it seems that it was a PEBCAK error... I was compiling the most recent GIT, which includes a "script" directory amongst other things...


Is there a way to make VS "package" the site to remove the source code files from the release?

:-\

How to: Set Debug and Release Configurations 

RTFM :'(
paerison attached the following image(s):
paerison
  •  paerison
  • 56.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Camper Topic Starter
2014-09-12T19:23:24Z
hazah!

it HELPS if you RTFM before tyring to copy stuff...

used the "publish" in VS, after correcting an error with missing XML files in the <obj> directory, and then xcopied the result to the dev server, tested, then copied to production and it now works...

it seems to be running a LOT slower than the production was though.

1506CDT -> resolved by rebuild

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.

Powered by Resharper Donate with PayPal button

Project Twitter Updates

Copyright © YetAnotherForum.NET & Ingo Herbote. All rights reserved