shide
  •  shide
  • 80.6% (Honored)
  • YAF Lover Topic Starter
2014-04-17T13:47:55Z
Hi guys,

when i load the default page, i get " 3 sql queries loaded" which in total shoudl take about 84ms.
But it still says "page generated in 1,165 second" how come ?

Propulsé par YAF | YAF © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
Cette page a été générée en 1,165 secondes.
YAF Compiled in DEBUG MODE.
Recompile in RELEASE MODE to remove this information:

XHTML | CSS

3 SQL Queries: 0,084 Seconds (7,21% of Total Page Load Time).

[dbo].[yaf_forum_listread]: 0,058
[dbo].[yaf_active_list]: 0,024
[dbo].[yaf_active_stats]: 0,002

can it be the time needed to generate all the html/controls etc.. ? (not so sure about that)
or the time needed to transfer all the data from the server ?
Sponsor
Hellboy75
2014-04-17T14:36:41Z
Hi Shide :)

it seems to me that the compilation in DEBUG MODE is slower.
shide
  •  shide
  • 80.6% (Honored)
2014-04-17T15:40:47Z
yes thanks, i read that earlier, but i also need to know what is the real impact.
Because how can i know it won't take 1 second in release mode ? (except from compiling in that mode and waiting to see)

i mean the debug mode is meant to provide more info on the performances. But if there's poor performances in debug, it's doesn't mean they will be good in Release mode. Otherwise there's no point of doing that a debug mode to see the performances ^^
Hellboy75
2014-04-18T07:58:32Z
yes i understand ^^

Can u tell us more informations: hosting, theme used etc. this could be help a bit 🙂
shide
  •  shide
  • 80.6% (Honored)
2014-04-18T08:58:20Z
yep sure :
(actual tests are on a Pre production server) Host :

MS Server 2003 R2 Standard SP2
Intel Xeon X3210 2.13GHz, 4Go RAM
(we have a load balancer for production, with replication servers similar to this one)
Our DB is running on a OWC Accelstor SSD (RAID1, 240Go), Marvel Chipset controler ~89200.

We're using a copy of the yaf-pro theme, that we customized a little bit.
We've done many optimizations concerning the DB, like adding lastUsername, lastIDs on the Category, Board tables to prevent using SQL joins when looking for those informations.
We've added "with(nolock)" on many queries too, and i think all the creatable indexes have already been done by the dev team.

We removed (commented) the shoutbox, the active discussions. i've limited the number of subforums shown to 5 in the default page.

So now on the default page we have 400ms of load time. But that's still too much ^^
And when we go on topics or messages it can take up to 5seconds to load, since we have more than 1million topics, 8 million messages.

i think there's some caching done in the background but haven't found yet how it worked, this could help too
bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2014-04-18T20:31:53Z
Originally Posted by: shide 

yep sure :
MS Server 2003 R2 Standard SP2
Intel Xeon X3210 2.13GHz, 4Go RAM
(we have a load balancer for production, with replication servers similar to this one)
Our DB is running on a OWC Accelstor SSD (RAID1, 240Go), Marvel Chipset controler ~89200.
So now on the default page we have 400ms of load time. But that's still too much ^^
And when we go on topics or messages it can take up to 5seconds to load, since we have more than 1million topics, 8 million messages.

i think there's some caching done in the background but haven't found yet how it worked, this could help too

I'm afraid that even with a load balancer you can't pull out it with 4Gb RAM only per server.
You don't need to limit the number of visible subforums - this will not help in your case.
shide
  •  shide
  • 80.6% (Honored)
2014-04-23T12:36:57Z
thanx bob, i'll make some tests on a a server with more RAM and let you guys know.

I limited the visible sub forums for a question of ergonomy more than performance actualy.
PS : we've been running yaf since 2002 aprox. on those servers.
Today we still have good performances (see our forums ) while having many apps installed, but the "look" is completely outdated, and we have a few bugs still there.

shide
  •  shide
  • 80.6% (Honored)
2014-04-25T07:28:09Z
Well after a few tests on a server with more RAM the performances don't change much.

But it still looks like the page generation is way longer than the queries.
I think that since we have a lot of data, we'll have to make some modifications in the code/SP to remove all the "joins", and add pre calculated fields etc..
Thanks for your help guys 🙂

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.