retrofive
2013-11-25T16:42:38Z
So we are just getting our forum up and running, so far so good. Until yesterday.

We have the forum to allow users to change their theme. Out of the blue yesterday the VAFVision stopped working. By stop I mean there is no theme being applied, just text. I restored the vafvision.xml and vafvision theme folder from a backup earlier that day, still nothing. All the other theme work fine. I have not modified or customized any of them. Of course VAFVision is the theme the majority of our users like.

Try the basics, restarting the server, restarting IIS, restarting the app in the admin section, re-installing.

YAF 2.0, Server 2008r2, IIS7, MSSQL2008

Question 2 we can't get working in any of the themes is getting the button for "first unread" to work, it behaves the as "last post". This is key for us getting working.

I searched, but haven't came up with much.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
Zero2Cool
2013-11-25T17:10:19Z
I only bring this up because you've done it several times, but I think the theme is actually YAF Vision, not VAF Vision. If you're not changing the .xml file or folder name then this is a moot comment.

What is the site or can you post screenshots so we can see exactly what you're experiencing?
retrofive
2013-11-25T17:21:40Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I only bring this up because you've done it several times, but I think the theme is actually YAF Vision, not VAF Vision. If you're not changing the .xml file or folder name then this is a moot comment.

What is the site or can you post screenshots so we can see exactly what you're experiencing?

DOH! Yes, sorry for the mistype. YAF Vision is correct and no have not renamed or changed any files.

www.retrofive.com 

retrofive attached the following image(s):
retrofive
2013-11-26T23:17:08Z
OK this is driving me batty.

Little more info. I realized what cause YAF Vision to break. From the default install folder (\forum\themes) I copied the yafvision.xml and yafvision folder to the desktop. NOTHING was change, just a straight ole copy.

I did the same for Grey-Grey looking into customizing and just copying it broke it as well and Orange-Grey.

BUT if I use IE instead of Chrome at least Orange-Grey works, but not the others.

How do these work?!? What is going on.

Very frustrated to a very good start with the product.
Zero2Cool
2013-11-26T23:19:33Z
I'm going to upload all the themes and give it a look on my site to see if this can be replicated.
retrofive
2013-11-26T23:22:08Z
retrofive
2013-11-26T23:34:18Z
So one more update. After clearing the cache in IE and Chrome, None of the themes work now.
retrofive
2013-11-26T23:47:15Z
Fixed it, but not what I did. Out of frustration, I copied the install folder, and theme folder from the download clean zip, ran the build.bat. Did a IISRESET. And all of them are working now.

Wish I understood a little more. But looks like all our issues have been corrected. Thank you for your time however. 🙂
Zero2Cool
2013-11-26T23:48:25Z
Was gonna just suggest a clean install because all the themes seem to work for me on my beta site. Glad you got it going!!
squirrel
2013-11-26T23:48:26Z
If you make any changes to the YAF theme files - in order for YAF to start using them, you need to login, go to your host menu, and clear your caches and restart YAF. Then flush your browser caches just to be sure -- if they are still not working after that, you need to look at your developer tools in your browser and see what files are not being served.

You could also have configuration issues with your app.config file not having proper information on your fileroot and clientroot and so forth. Some of this will depend on how your YAF is installed and configured, as well as direct relation to if you have other ASP.NET applications running in the same application space as YAF --

There are many variables here that can cause this issue. If everything was working, and downloading, then uploading the files has caused problems - one of two things is happening -- either YAF is not reading the files properly, or your server is not making them available to YAF. Check the file-sizes on the server - make sure there were no FTP issues with file-locking - happens on MS servers sometimes...

Also - is there a chance when you modified them you changed the file encoding before you re-uploaded it? Some operating systems and text editors mess with the file encoding and some servers can't compensate for that. It's rare but does happen, and can happen in .NET -- DNN used to have this issue with installation manifests - bad encoding would crash the SQLDataProvider scripts they used...

If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
retrofive
2013-11-27T01:48:45Z
Good to know. Thank you.

retrofive
2013-11-27T20:42:42Z
Bump for this part of the question..

Question 2 we can't get working in any of the themes is getting the button for "first unread" to work, it behaves the as "last post". This is key for us getting working.
squirrel
2013-11-27T21:13:27Z
Latest Post and First Unread are operated in two ways (depending on your configuration) - last-read will either compare "cookie dates and times" vs. last post info, OR if you set "Use Database Read Tracking", then the system will compare the last 'read' time and any posts after that will be displayed.

If your site is forgetting 'users' that have "remember me" checked when they close the browser and come back to the site, or at random intervals, the site invalidates user cookies (caused by app restarts without a machineKey locked into the web.config) - then read tracking won't work right.

For it to work without DB Read tracking, the cookies have to be maintained across login sessions. Without the machine key in web.config, if your webserver restarts the encryption keys are re-generated, and the cookies are invalid. You will see "Invalid Viewstate" errors in your log when this is happening -- the user load the forum, invalid viewstate in cookie detected, and cookie reset with new viewstate. MachineKeys will solve that direct issue, but may not have 100% effect on last-read without database read trackign enabled. Keep in mind that this can cause database growth on heavy forums.
If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
retrofive
2013-11-27T21:22:09Z
Originally Posted by: squirrel 

Latest Post and First Unread are operated in two ways (depending on your configuration) - last-read will either compare "cookie dates and times" vs. last post info, OR if you set "Use Database Read Tracking", then the system will compare the last 'read' time and any posts after that will be displayed.

If your site is forgetting 'users' that have "remember me" checked when they close the browser and come back to the site, or at random intervals, the site invalidates user cookies (caused by app restarts without a machineKey locked into the web.config) - then read tracking won't work right.

For it to work without DB Read tracking, the cookies have to be maintained across login sessions. Without the machine key in web.config, if your webserver restarts the encryption keys are re-generated, and the cookies are invalid. You will see "Invalid Viewstate" errors in your log when this is happening -- the user load the forum, invalid viewstate in cookie detected, and cookie reset with new viewstate. MachineKeys will solve that direct issue, but may not have 100% effect on last-read without database read trackign enabled. Keep in mind that this can cause database growth on heavy forums.

EXCELLENT! 🙂 Thank you again.
tha_watcha
2013-11-27T22:58:48Z
Originally Posted by: retrofive 

Bump for this part of the question..

This is a known bug in YAF 2.0, and will be fixed in 2.1.
UserPostedImage

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.