johnk
  •  johnk
  • 74.2% (Friendly)
  • YAF All-the-Time Topic Starter
2013-06-02T18:35:30Z
Suppose a user has made three posts. If we delete two of the post (either user deleted it himself or moderator deleted it), the user post count remains at 3 (instead of 1).
Sponsor
Zero2Cool
2013-06-03T14:54:55Z
Originally Posted by: johnk 

Suppose a user has made three posts. If we delete two of the post (either user deleted it himself or moderator deleted it), the user post count remains at 3 (instead of 1).

I have watched this closely when deleting my super special spam accounts and it has worked properly each time. I have only done the delete by post, not topic and I check the checkbox to ensure it is deleted from the database.

How are you deleting the post?
johnk
  •  johnk
  • 74.2% (Friendly)
2013-06-04T03:50:38Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I have watched this closely when deleting my super special spam accounts and it has worked properly each time. I have only done the delete by post, not topic and I check the checkbox to ensure it is deleted from the database.

Maybe we should have a user role called spammers and move these users to these roles. They will only have read access. This will confuse some of them.

Someone had suggested hiding posts from "spammer" role to everyone except the spammers.

Quote:

I am deleting the entire thread (instead of individual post). I should have mentioned that.

Zero2Cool
2013-06-04T12:44:13Z
Originally Posted by: johnk 

I am deleting the entire thread (instead of individual post). I should have mentioned that.

For some reason, deleting a Topic just marks the thread as deleted, instead of deleting from the database. If you delete the first message (aka thread starter), you can checkbox an option to delete all messages, which effectively deletes the thread.

Since this post, deleting a message while the checkbox option is checked actually removes the record from the DB.
http://forum.yetanotherf...-messages.aspx#post51613 

Somewhat related ... if you merge topics, you get an orphaned topic record.
http://forum.yetanotherf...c-records.aspx#post59231 
johnk
  •  johnk
  • 74.2% (Friendly)
2013-06-04T20:18:01Z

For some reason, deleting a Topic just marks the thread as deleted, instead of deleting from the database. If you delete the first message (aka thread starter), you can checkbox an option to delete all messages, which effectively deletes the thread.

Since this post, deleting a message while the checkbox option is checked actually removes the record from the DB.
http://forum.yetanotherf...-messages.aspx#post51613 

Thanks for the links. The bug is that if Admin (or moderator) deletes the topic, its hidden on front end. In backend, it still exists and hence post count does not decrease for all users who had posted.

The current workaround is to delete the first post in that thread and also select checkbox to delete all other posts in that thread. This will delete the thread completely in backend and correctly decrease the post count for all users who had posted in that thread.

I am hesitant to delete posts directly from SQL database - since I am not familiar with layout and it could affect foreign key constraints and that could start giving errors in other threads.

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.