super
  •  super
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • YAF Camper Topic Starter
2012-07-13T17:18:30Z
I am trying to install YAF on my local machine using Visual Studio 2010

Did all this: http://yafnet.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Installation&referringTitle=Documentation 

I was get the error:

No data for board ID: 1

FYI: I checked both "full search text and BB code" while installing.
Sponsor
super
  •  super
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2012-07-13T17:19:42Z
I followed this: http://forum.yetanotherforum.net/yaf_postst14278_first-install-failure.aspx 

Deleted my YAF database, re-created it, ran the install.aspx page again and this time UN-check both in the last step "full text search and BB code"

Now I am getting Installation error: There has been a serious error loading the forum
squirrel
2012-07-16T13:51:33Z
You need to alter your web.config file and update the customErrors line - it needs to read
<customErrors defaultRedirect="Error.aspx" mode="Off"/>
- this will tell ASP.NET to display full errors to you and then you will see the 'real error'
If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
super
  •  super
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2012-07-16T14:42:26Z
Getting this error (don't know why I am getting this, its a fresh installation, fresh install should not expect data in the database because obviously there won't be anything in the database when its the 1st install)

Server Error in '/' Application.

No data for board ID: 1
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: YAF.Core.EmptyBoardSettingException: No data for board ID: 1

Source Error:

Line 58: if (dataTable.Rows.Count == 0)
Line 59: {
Line 60: throw new EmptyBoardSettingException("No data for board ID: {0}".FormatWith(this._boardID));
Line 61: }
Line 62:

Source File: C:\Users\Desktop\YAF\YAF.Core\BoardSettings\YafLoadBoardSettings.cs Line: 60
daveburke
2012-07-16T21:29:26Z
You might want to check your database connection string in web.config or db.config, either of both may be non-editable by the YAF Installation Wizard. As a result your connection string is pointing to a non-existent database.

I'm a little fuzzy on the exact action of the YAF Install Wizard regarding the connection string, but it's something to check.

Good luck,
Dave
alpha6789
2012-07-16T22:32:43Z
I have the same installation problem. It shows the following error:

"Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed."

This is really frustrating because the database is a newly created empty one. The connection string is

<add name="yafnet" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=SSPI;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|Database.mdf;" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

It seems to me it's because of the security problem, i.e., the user doesn't have permission to create a user instance. ( I have cleaned-up the folder "C:\Users\myAccount\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data"), because if I hookup the Database.mdf using SSMS, YAF installation works fine.

But the problem is if I create an empty project in vs2010 and I checked the connection string, they are exactly the same as the YAF's except the database name is aspnetdb.mdf (it also has ...User Instance=True; AttachDBFilename=\DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf...). And if I run the empty project, it has no problem to connect the aspnetdb.mdf.

So what the problem with YAF installation???
squirrel
2012-07-16T22:46:02Z
Originally Posted by: alpha6789 

"Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed."

This is really frustrating because the database is a newly created empty one. The connection string is

<add name="yafnet" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=SSPI;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|Database.mdf;" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

It seems to me it's because of the security problem, i.e., the user doesn't have permission to create a user instance. ( I have cleaned-up the folder "C:\Users\myAccount\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Data"), because if I hookup the Database.mdf using SSMS, YAF installation works fine.

But the problem is if I create an empty project in vs2010 and I checked the connection string, they are exactly the same as the YAF's except the database name is aspnetdb.mdf (it also has ...User Instance=True; AttachDBFilename=\DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf...). And if I run the empty project, it has no problem to connect the aspnetdb.mdf.

Your problem is actually different than the one described at the top of this thread. The problem above (in the thread) references an installer issue where the first "Board" data was not properly created (installer did not complete or database information is not proper between the installer and afterwards).

For your problem:
Are you trying to run a 'user instance' or create a physical database inside an SQL Express Server? If you're trying to run a user instance, you need to research permissions on SQL Server and how to allow 'user instances'. If you are trying to use a database that is served by the SQL Express server, then you need to open SMSS, create a blank database, create a user and login, and assign them database owner privilidges, then alter your connection string to reflect the changes. I posted a good connection string for use with YAF in another thread -- I'll try to dig it up. It works well with SQL Express or SQL Server 2008 serving a database for YAF...
If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2012-07-16T23:54:02Z

The problem is that when I use Postgre instance sometimes fails start too. I'm afraid it's a YAF issue. So far I spotted it on development server only. I thought it is SQL Server issue first as I bumped into it with the database only until some point. It seems that a hardware is overloaded at the moment but can't say exactly as didn't investigate it due to a current luck of time.
alpha6789
2012-07-17T01:39:32Z
Originally Posted by: squirrel 

Originally Posted by: alpha6789 

Your problem is actually different than the one described at the top of this thread. The problem above (in the thread) references an installer issue where the first "Board" data was not properly created (installer did not complete or database information is not proper between the installer and afterwards).

For your problem:
Are you trying to run a 'user instance' or create a physical database inside an SQL Express Server? If you're trying to run a user instance, you need to research permissions on SQL Server and how to allow 'user instances'. If you are trying to use a database that is served by the SQL Express server, then you need to open SMSS, create a blank database, create a user and login, and assign them database owner privilidges, then alter your connection string to reflect the changes. I posted a good connection string for use with YAF in another thread -- I'll try to dig it up. It works well with SQL Express or SQL Server 2008 serving a database for YAF...

Thank you for your quick response. As I said, if I hook up the database using SSMS, and use the normal connection string, it works perfectly fine. However, when I create an empty database from Visual studio directly and use the following connection string

it just doesn't work at all. However, if you create an empty web page using VWD (it will also create a default empty aspnetdb.mdf, and uses it for the membership), the connection string format is also the same as the above one and it runs fine.

So I just wonder why it doesn't work for YAF?
squirrel
2012-07-17T01:55:27Z
There could be a permissions issue with the login, Try changing the IntegratedSecurity="true" to trustedConnection="false" and then attach the database to SMSS and check to see if it has a valid login and password assigned to the database and to the sql server. I don't deal with attached databases much... I've always used them inside SQL Server and when I needed to move, just ran a backup, pushed the DB over to the other server, restored, and created a fresh user login and password for the restored database (and assigned it db owner priv) and been done with it...

I don't know if this will help or not, but it might (atleast for diagnosing) --

super
  •  super
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
2012-07-17T11:14:47Z
I downloaded the copy of YAF from here: http://forum.yetanotherforum.net/yaf_postst14201_v1-9-6-1-RTW-Dated--3-26-2012.aspx 

The copy of YAF attached by "Jaben" in his first post.

It is working fine now - I just unchecked both options while installation :Speech text & BB Code

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.