Ken1972
  •  Ken1972
  • 80.6% (Honored)
  • YAF Lover Topic Starter
2012-05-15T22:45:41Z
Gang,

can someone please help me figure out why my forum is not loading?.......below is the link to error:
http://www.bigfourcarp.com/forum/default.aspx 

Thank You

Ken
Sponsor
squirrel
2012-05-16T03:16:27Z
Several things --

First, we will need a version and platform for help in diagnosis.
Also need to know if this is 'stand-alone' install or 'integrated' with another .NET application.
Need to know what steps happened prior to getting the error. Has the forum ever 'worked' or is this what you get after your first install. This error doesn't relate to installer issues, but did your install script run and complete properly or did it have problems as well?

Have you verified all your .config file settings? Such as paths and so forth?

If you are running v1.9.6.x you must have ASP.NET 4.0 installed and enabled for the site.
You also have to have YAF's folder defined as an application in IIS.

Additionally, you need to verify that YAF's files are all uploaded and intact. If it can't inherit something, it is having a problem finding a file or resolving a path. This could be caused by your DLLs being in the wrong location (are you an integrated YAF or stand-alone as a seperate application)...

There are too many unanswered questions about your configuration for us to point you in the right direction.
If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
Ken1972
  •  Ken1972
  • 80.6% (Honored)
2012-05-16T03:54:43Z
The version is YetAnotherForum 1.9.6.1
The platform is Windows Microsoft .Net

It used to work but, that was over a year ago. Sorry, I dont recall exactly what took place prior to the ERROR MESSAGE Just today I decided to try again fixing the problem.

The files have been on the server for over a year now. Everything was installed correctly(I beleive), since it was working at one time.

The connection string is correct.

Not sure about the DLL's

integrated or stand alone?......not sure about this either.
squirrel
2012-05-16T04:11:11Z
Originally Posted by: Ken1972 

The version is YetAnotherForum 1.9.6.1
The platform is Windows Microsoft .Net

It used to work but, that was over a year ago. Sorry, I dont recall exactly what took place prior to the ERROR MESSAGE Just today I decided to try again fixing the problem.

The files have been on the server for over a year now. Everything was installed correctly(I beleive), since it was working at one time.

The connection string is correct.

Not sure about the DLL's

integrated or stand alone?......not sure about this either.

Integrated vs. Stand-alone would be whether or not there are other .NET applications being served on that domain name in IIS. - if you have no other .NET applications installed, then YAF would be stand-alone as the only '.NET' application - it's not being wrapped up into another program being served on that site.

1.9.6.1 just came out officially within the last month. Have you attempted an upgrade recently?

Are you able to make backups of your SQL database? If so, I would think to make a backup of the SQL database, and the YAF folder on the server, then attempt to upgrade to the latest version - following the upgrade instructions in the readme file within the archive download from CodePlex for 1.9.6.1 BIN version. It will help with what files to replace, and how to merge your web.configs...

If this is outside your scope, I might be able to help directly. If this is the case, send me a PM and we will work out details. Once we resolve the issue, I'll update the topic here for future reference of other members --
If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
Ken1972
  •  Ken1972
  • 80.6% (Honored)
2012-05-16T04:25:58Z
Is this how the Web.Config file is suppose to look like?....also my web server tech said the web.config should be calling referencing/calling more files from the bin folder.
<configuration>
<system.webServer>
<httpErrors errorMode="Detailed" />
<asp scriptErrorSentToBrowser="true"/>
</system.webServer>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
<compilation debug="true"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>
squirrel
2012-05-16T05:07:48Z
Originally Posted by: Ken1972 

Is this how the Web.Config file is suppose to look like?....also my web server tech said the web.config should be calling referencing/calling more files from the bin folder.
<configuration>
<system.webServer>
<httpErrors errorMode="Detailed" />
<asp scriptErrorSentToBrowser="true"/>
</system.webServer>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
<compilation debug="true"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

That looks like an IIS 7 web.config file in a webroot.

In YAF's folder (according to your url this should be inside your /forum folder) there should be a web.config, db.config, app.config, mail.config. YAF's web.config is fairly large. I'm pretty sure an error like that comes from YAF not being able to find something file related.

Dr-Hack
2012-05-18T23:58:29Z
Originally Posted by: Jaden 

Final!

v1.9.6.1 is .NET v4 ONLY!

YOUR SITE asp.net version wrote:

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3625; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3634

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.