Zero2Cool
2011-10-15T20:08:20Z
I'm trying to use the shrink database feature and received this message.

"Something went wrong with this operation. The reported error is: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding."

The time out must be set to 30 seconds, I assume?

This page was generated in 30.178 seconds.

The event log is empty.
Sponsor
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2011-10-16T18:12:55Z
default timeout is set to 30... that's a bug of sorts... that command needs to be set to run longer.
Zero2Cool
2011-10-29T05:20:43Z
I tried this on my new host and it worked within ~7 seconds or so. I think it trimmed 4MB lol
RichP714
2011-10-29T05:31:28Z
If you have an ongoing board, I've found that running shrink (with the truncate switch) doesn't server much of a purpose, thye db will grow as it's used.

I have now been running the shrink command with NOTRUNCATE switch, which puts all the free space (from deleted posts, etc.) at the end of the file (sort of a defrag?).

The file size doesn't change, but all the free space is at the end of the file, where new posts will consume it instead of using fragmented free space along the file.

Then again, I might not know what I'm doing......
Enjoy!

Running YAF 1.9.5.5 final at: http://thecarversite.com 
Zero2Cool
2011-10-29T05:42:16Z
This is what I have in my message table...

Index Space = 7.930MB
Row Count = 19626
Data Space = 259.352MB

Where the hell is the other 150MB being used at? lol
squirrel
2011-10-29T13:30:36Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Index Space = 7.930MB
Row Count = 19626
Data Space = 259.352MB

What is your 'recovery mode' for that database (must be checked with Management Studio - YAF always reports 'full' mode)? If it's in 'Full' mode, the log files will be counted as part of the data space if I remember right --
If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
Zero2Cool
2011-10-29T14:22:46Z
Originally Posted by: squirrel 

Index Space = 7.930MB
Row Count = 19626
Data Space = 259.352MB

What is your 'recovery mode' for that database (must be checked with Management Studio - YAF always reports 'full' mode)? If it's in 'Full' mode, the log files will be counted as part of the data space if I remember right --

Recovery model: Simple.

I had it set on Full for a long time.

Edit, I hate this site, it loads so damn fast every time, lol.
squirrel
2011-10-29T16:00:47Z

I'm curious -- try this site http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com/forum  and let me know what kind of load times you're seeing if you get a chance -- our DB size is around 230mb currently -- this server (Dual-Core 2.4GHz/2GB RAM/500GB storage) is hosting around 150 websites, most are classic ASP with database, some are php with MySQL backend, and a handful are running GalleryServerPro --
If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
squirrel
2011-10-29T16:09:46Z
I just checked out your site, and response time is pretty 'perky' thus far -- I didn't dig deep but it doesn't seem to be doing that bad overall -- (I promise I won't get into a Bears/Packers war with you, either <grin> )

I do notice a little 'lag' on an initial click of a link, but rendering and delivery seems good on this end. DNN was famous for being a little 'laggy' for me as well whenever I clicked -- but we've already been through my comments regarding DNN as a platform. It's a huge hog and while accomplishes what it sets out to do, it is generally overkill on a host... When I ran it, it wanted to consume upwards of 300-500mb of RAM in the AppPool with YAF running as a module (v5.x/YAF 1.9.3ish) -- that was unacceptable for a site that was only churning out around 100-200 pages a day tops...
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2011-10-29T22:11:50Z
Remember folks, don't run Shrink very much: It can massively fragment your indexes causing your DB to run dramatically slower.
Zero2Cool
2011-10-29T22:32:10Z
I pointed my site back to Arvixe almost seven hours ago because the load times were not improved. It was more consistent and landed between 0.8 and 1.0 with a few lower and a few higher.

I'm curious -- try this site http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com/forum  and let me know what kind of load times you're seeing if you get a chance -- our DB size is around 230mb currently -- this server (Dual-Core 2.4GHz/2GB RAM/500GB storage) is hosting around 150 websites, most are classic ASP with database, some are php with MySQL backend, and a handful are running GalleryServerPro --

First page load
This page was generated in 1.473 seconds.

Majority of the page loads were less than a 0.1 of a second and sometimes hitting around 0.4.

I tried getting my CPU and Memory usage details, but they say I can't access them via the control panel. I made them aware I knew this, and was hoping they would check. I gave up after waiting for a chat person to respond back to me.

BTW, feel free to talk Bears/Packers... remember the NFC Championship game? 😉
squirrel
2011-10-29T23:36:07Z
Believe me, I remember -- oh so vividly... 'bout as well as I remember Grossman's performance against Indianapolis prior... I give credit where it's due -- they play well for sure (Green Bay) -- I'm just a die hard Bears man --

Getting your AppPool usage as a snapshot takes about 1 minute on a Windows server... A CPU usage is a little trickier...
Zero2Cool
2011-10-30T00:03:49Z
I'm trying to set up one of my extra machines as a web server. Got the IIS going, but not much else lol

I don't know where to find the AppPool stuff. I'm just a developer.
squirrel
2011-10-30T00:40:33Z

I'm trying to set up one of my extra machines as a web server. Got the IIS going, but not much else lol

I've seen a good write-up about getting IIS setup. I can walk you through it but it almost needs to be a seperate topic or PMs
Zero2Cool
2011-10-30T01:01:45Z

I've seen a good write-up about getting IIS setup. I can walk you through it but it almost needs to be a seperate topic or PMs

I think a separate topic would be good, then others who are as blind as myself could have a tutorial of sorts. :)

If you're able to do that, thank ya!

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.