Zero2Cool
2011-05-07T19:05:36Z
About five years ago, I built a hobby site in DragonFly CMS (PHP). It ended up growing quite a bit and now that I'm an experience .NET developer, I figure I should move it to a platform an language I'm familiar with.

I've set up a DotNetNuke 5.6.2 site with YAF.NET 1.9.5.5.

My questions/concerns are what would be the best method of importing my previous data from the dF site to the new DNN site w/YAF?

Users - 740
Topics - 10,000
Posts - 183,000

I've looked briefly at the table structure and it looks more complex than expected.

I'm thinking this should be my plan of attack ...
Import Users into DNN User tables
Import Users into YAF User tables
Import Topics into YAF tables
Import Posts into YAF tables

The problem I'm encountering is I'm not sure of the table relationships. Specifically, what is needed for a valid user, a valid post, etc... I know a post needs a value user first, so obviously I'm thinking users have to be imported first.

I'm confident no one has created a dF to DNN/YAF module, which is why I've begun creating a C# app to this for me.

What I'm hoping to find is table structure for the YAF forums. Does such a thing exist?
Sponsor
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2011-05-10T00:59:43Z
Never heard of DragonFly, honestly. In SQL Server Management Studio, you can quickly create a diagram of YAF.NET's DB structure. There is a lot to know, of course. But Users/Topics and Posts should be manageable. The most confusing thing will be the "Flags" -- which are bit flags available in the source code (search for UserFlags, MessageFlags, TopicFlags) to find out what they are.
Zero2Cool
2011-05-10T02:53:38Z
Originally Posted by: Jaben 

Never heard of DragonFly, honestly. In SQL Server Management Studio, you can quickly create a diagram of YAF.NET's DB structure. There is a lot to know, of course. But Users/Topics and Posts should be manageable. The most confusing thing will be the "Flags" -- which are bit flags available in the source code (search for UserFlags, MessageFlags, TopicFlags) to find out what they are.

DragonFly was forked from phpNuke, if that adds any insight.

I think I have the DNN users figured out and will be testing that out in the coming days/week. I'll have to look into the DNN YAF user importer and see if it maintains the userid from DNN. If not, I'll have to make the YAF user importer as well.

I later realized I'll have to move the forum categories/sections as well. This is gonna be a heckuva task, lol. And what else doesn't help me is the userid, postid, etc are not all sequential ... that might hold me up.

The flags you mention, can those be defaulted to '0'? Or does a 1 for TopicFlag mean it's the first post in a topic and that's how a "new" thread is indicated?

Thanks for your assistance too.

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.