lfosdal
  •  lfosdal
  • 72.8% (Friendly)
  • YAF Lover Topic Starter
2011-03-26T10:21:42Z
If you can't stop the spammers on your own boards, how will we be able to on our forums?

The spam and the broken image links in the default forum skin is not good for the reputation of YAF.
- There are no stupid questions.
Sponsor
cagliostro
2011-03-26T12:07:11Z
I have complained about it here many times, usually my posts were deleted without any answer.

dillegummin
2011-03-26T12:08:58Z
The bad thing is that some of the spam posts have been sitting there for two days without anyone bothering to delete or kill/ban the user.

But yeah I agree, it looks very bad for YAF when people comes on here to check out this forum software, and all they see is spam!
Dr-Hack
2011-03-26T12:45:05Z
sad about this ..
may be they need to get few mods , who come here often ....
YAF is a great piece of software .. ups and downs can be handled....

squirrel
2011-03-26T13:25:42Z
Originally Posted by: Dr-Hack 

sad about this ..
may be they need to get few mods , who come here often ....
YAF is a great piece of software .. ups and downs can be handled....

I'm here on a daily basis -- usually many times a day -- would be more than willing to help with this one --

If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
cagliostro
2011-03-26T14:44:58Z
I don't know what is the policy here about spam, but is seems that accounts that posted junk are not disabled and they post again.

Also the spam is not cleared 100%, if you search you will find spam at old dates that has escaped.

For this website and for ours also, some simple things must be added to reduce spam. For me, one thing works best. The option to post after xxx days or hours. Spammers rarely come back.

Also an other simple option is to FORCE moderate if a user has less than xxx posts. Simple and works.

I know that i will read some opinions about the freedom of a board etc etc. But for serious boards i think those (optional) measures will help a LOT.

my 2c

Costas
Dr-Hack
2011-03-26T17:32:35Z
Originally Posted by: squirrel 

I'm here on a daily basis -- usually many times a day -- would be more than willing to help with this one --

There are many people like you ...
you yourself is a valid option so they should make you
dillegummin
2011-03-29T11:36:30Z
Why on earth is nothing done with the spam here?

Is Jaben the only one that can ban and delete posts / topics here and he is on vacation somewhere?
tha_watcha
2011-03-29T12:37:28Z
Originally Posted by: dillegummin 

Why on earth is nothing done with the spam here?

Is Jaben the only one that can ban and delete posts / topics here and he is on vacation somewhere?

Sadly yes he is the only one, but i dont know why he is not responding anymore :cry:

But there will be automated SPAM Protection included in the next release.

UserPostedImage
dillegummin
2011-03-29T12:55:49Z
Originally Posted by: tha_watcha 

Sadly yes he is the only one, but i dont know why he is not responding anymore :cry:

But there will be automated SPAM Protection included in the next release.

Ouch... He is not trusting you guys? :cheesy:

Automated spam protection sounds great actually.
bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2011-03-29T14:56:17Z

Sadly yes he is the only one :cry:

Mek can technically do it too.
dillegummin
2011-03-30T10:43:47Z
Originally Posted by: bbobb 

Sadly yes he is the only one :cry:

Mek can technically do it too.

Then I think it is time Mek technically did!
JP
  •  JP
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Leader
2011-03-30T19:10:39Z
As this is a big problem also for us who really use the YAF software, maybe we can plea for more "moderator tool" enhancements... I remember I gave some simple ideas some while ago on "nice to have" stuff...

Sometimes the administration of the forum regarding the really practical stuff around moderation, IP-stuff, user traceability and finer grain moderation of individual users & topics does feel a bit "unsatisfying" which is a bit of a shame, since I love the software immensely for what it does otherwise... Especially if you compare to some of the PHP stuff out there that have "more mature" moderation possibilities...

I myself have moderators in different time zones, just to be able to cope with the spammers and such at least within 4-8 hrs... It's really a shift work running an international forum with members (and spammers) from all over the world...

Having more than 50 spam posts by a single spammer is not really good advertising either for a support forum like this, but I can understand if they go undetected, since - It's also up to forum users to use the excellent Report facility to alert mods of spammers and such instead of posting messages about it. I've managed to "train" most of my users to use this great feature first and it really helps, since "moderator on duty" can take care of it while I am asleep... 😉

If this site needs moderators, I am willing to help since I visit the forum now and then (well... daily)...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
f0zzyNUE
2011-03-31T07:45:40Z
it gets worse from day to day :oops: take a look at this "general" forum. almost all posts on the first page are spam. :?