Dimi
  •  Dimi
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF All-the-Time Topic Starter
2011-03-02T03:34:59Z
Is it really a bug or feature? The old user can see all new postings that were added after he had logged in for the last time. A new user instead when logs in for the first time sees no updates in the folders. I realize that he is just logged in, but why don't we show all the previous messages as he didn't read them yet? It can be optional for sure, but I see the logic to be improved here.
Dimi
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
squirrel
2011-03-02T04:22:25Z
Originally Posted by: Dimi 

Is it really a bug or feature? The old user can see all new postings that were added after he had logged in for the last time. A new user instead when logs in for the first time sees no updates in the folders. I realize that he is just logged in, but why don't we show all the previous messages as he didn't read them yet? It can be optional for sure, but I see the logic to be improved here.

Because the account is freshly created, I would think this becomes an issue because there is no recorded 'last here date/time' for a new user account - because even though they may have been a guest, they have not been registered, so there is no way to track their activities. With it being a fresh account, the only other logic would be for it to mark ALL posts as new since that account has 'never been here'. Instead, the system starts their 'last here date/time' starting from that point forward.

(At least that's the way I understand it from watching the user tables)

If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
Dimi
  •  Dimi
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF All-the-Time Topic Starter
2011-03-02T05:25:14Z
Originally Posted by: squirrel 

With it being a fresh account, the only other logic would be for it to mark ALL posts as new since that account has 'never been here'.

This is exactly what I mean. If he has never seen these messages as a registered user the posts should be marked as unread for him. Although it can be optional (checkbox) since I'm not sure that all the people will like that. Also it would be convenient if there was a button to make the whole sub-forum ot thread as read.
Dimi
UserPostedImage
squirrel
2011-03-02T11:16:18Z
Originally Posted by: Dimi 

Originally Posted by: squirrel 

With it being a fresh account, the only other logic would be for it to mark ALL posts as new since that account has 'never been here'.

This is exactly what I mean. If he has never seen these messages as a registered user the posts should be marked as unread for him. Although it can be optional (checkbox) since I'm not sure that all the people will like that. Also it would be convenient if there was a button to make the whole sub-forum ot thread as read.

There is already link to mark a forum as read.
If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.