squirrel
  •  squirrel
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Leader Topic Starter
2011-01-23T01:49:40Z
Ok -- here is an interesting feature request.

On our forum, some of our members go out of their way to get around the bad words filter. To be honest, on our Snitz site we had almost 200 variations of bad words filtered. One thing Snitz allowed was for us to include 'whitespace' in the bad word definition. So if we were searching for "ass" - we would enter it as " ass" with a leading whitespace so that the system wouldn't filter words like "pass" or "masses" or whatever you have.

I was wondering if there is a way to implement where YAF would NOT strip out whitespaces in the bad words filter when defining bad words, or if there was a way to offer up a "checkbox" that would tell YAF to search for "whole words only" instead of matching the bad phrase inside a passible word such as noted above.

Thanks for your time, everyone -- it's an amazing product!

If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
Sponsor
squirrel
  •  squirrel
  • 100% (Exalted)
2011-01-30T03:32:54Z
I went ahead and requested this in the YAF Tracker -- I know you all are busy with the upcoming release, but just hoping something can be done with this, as it causes many issues on our site with the filtering setup as it is currently... Thanks again!
If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2011-01-30T05:21:17Z
The problem doesn't exist.

/s(yourbadword)/s

yourgoodword
squirrel
  •  squirrel
  • 100% (Exalted)
2011-01-30T05:35:02Z
Originally Posted by: bbobb 

The problem doesn't exist.

/s(yourbadword)/s

yourgoodword

So by adding the /s before and after will push the 'whitespace' into the regex?

If so, please close the issue I opened - and thank you for helping with this!

squirrel
  •  squirrel
  • 100% (Exalted)
2011-01-30T05:44:16Z
Ok - got it figured out -- using the \s solves the whitespace issue - and the 'replaced' word/characters will allow the white-spaces so " **** " will replace the spaces being searched out by the regex.

Thanks bbobb!