SilhouetteBS
2011-01-17T16:32:47Z
It would be great if there could be an integration with PayPal so that you could turn on a feature that would require a user to pay a fee before being able to access the forums. This type of funcationality is currently available in vBulletin.
Sponsor
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2011-01-17T17:15:43Z
Don't see why not. Probably be best as an add-on, though.
SilhouetteBS
2011-01-17T17:19:00Z
Any idea on how long it would take to implement?
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2011-01-17T19:44:35Z
Depends on who's implementing it and how advanced it is.
JP
  •  JP
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Leader
2011-01-17T19:58:59Z
Very OT, but I must say I hate pay forums like experts-exchange and such...

Don't think myself it is a feature even to consider in a free open source forum software...
If you want to get paid, go buy a forum like vBullentin or any of the other commercial alternatives, or order a commercial job from TinyGecko.

I think it is wrong to get paid while using a free open source software while the authors get nothing in return.

Sorry for expressing my view so bluntly in this topic, but I just had to....
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
SilhouetteBS
2011-01-17T22:28:15Z
Originally Posted by: JP 

I think it is wrong to get paid while using a free open source software while the authors get nothing in return.

I have to disagree with this. Web developers all over the world use free open source software and charge their clients for it to be implemented. If no one charged client's for the implementation for open source software, then why would the source code be such a highly requested thing in the first place? It's made available to customize the software for customer's needs.

The request is from a customer that would like to be able to charge it's customers. It is one of the many benefits of the services that they offer.
JP
  •  JP
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Leader
2011-01-18T19:35:21Z
Ok, then let the customer pay for a subcontracted development from forum creators...

My mistake, I thought you were doing it for yourself - hence my some what "annoyed" tone... Sorry about that... 😊

However, I still feel the same about the border of free/commercial... There is a difference between what development should be freely supported in a community and a dedicated development for a commercial product... 😄

I hope YAF developers will not kick me out of this forum for saying so... 😞
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
SilhouetteBS
2011-01-24T20:07:08Z
Originally Posted by: Jaben 

Depends on who's implementing it and how advanced it is.

Anyway of getting this feature on the roadmap?

It would also be nice to be able to select when the user would have to pay. For instance, you could have the user pay at the time of registration. You could also allow the user pay after registration and allow the user access to specific forums or topics after the user has paid.
bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2011-01-25T01:30:51Z
Originally Posted by: SilhouetteBS 

It would also be nice to be able to select when the user would have to pay. For instance, you could have the user pay at the time of registration. You could also allow the user pay after registration and allow the user access to specific forums or topics after the user has paid.

If you integrate YAF with MojoPortal, it has a basic e-commerce feature. In the case you can add a very simple trigger or piece of code and voila! :wink:

SilhouetteBS
2011-02-03T20:52:40Z
Jaben - I may have a customer who would like this feature with their YAF installation. How much would you charge to have this implemented?
Dr-Hack
2011-02-04T05:07:33Z
this addon will be good ,

But i think its not a good thing ... i dont want YAF to become like dotnetnuke in the end :s
SilhouetteBS
2011-02-04T15:44:01Z
Originally Posted by: Dr-Hack 

this addon will be good , But i think its not a good thing ... i dont want YAF to become like dotnetnuke in the end :s

I understand your point view, but this is a very useful feature for organizations. For instance, I have an organization that is non-profit and they charge people a membership fee to access the various information they offer to members of it's association. The way they want people to pay for this information is through the forum. They want to make different types of memberships that a user could choose from when registering or even after registering through the users profile. Once the user pays, it would change their group association automatically in the forum to grant them access to even more information. I really think it's a great idea!
Dr-Hack
2011-02-04T16:33:04Z
Such implementations are seen on the internet on many forums as mentioned on above posts ...

No offence to anyone , and the founders of a app have all the right to do what ever they like ..
If such an addon is made with YAF which is open source ... means people will be charging their users . which I think is unfair with the YAF team ..

one option can be "PAID registration module" can be named a separate project - "made for YAF" and that can be sold as separate.

Now i dont suggest the both ..as i mentioned before as it happened with DNN ..they made great things . Opensource people ..people started selling there modules ..DNN's shaun thought \/\/+|= and started changing the license and now they get an open source skeleton. the meat+soul is on snowcovered for "sale" :)

Who would want this from YAF? I would never (sorry jaben 😉 )
SilhouetteBS
2011-02-04T18:53:53Z
Doesn't YAF already allow you to make money off of it by placing ads in the forums?
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2011-02-04T19:05:59Z
Originally Posted by: SilhouetteBS 

Jaben - I may have a customer who would like this feature with their YAF installation. How much would you charge to have this implemented?

Please contact me via email at: clients@yetanotherforum.net

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.