FanPilot
  •  FanPilot
  • 56.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Camper Topic Starter
2011-01-15T12:22:24Z
Hi all,

I have installed YAF (though am having timeout issues very regularly).

I am currently updating the site for my client (the whole site) and making it .NET 3.5. I am also using MySQL as the database for the site.

MySQL will be the membership provider for the site... http://www.codeproject.com/KB/database/mysqlmembershipprovider.aspx 

Am I able to make the YAF membership use the same membership as my site? If so, what do I need to do?

I would prefer a single login / registration across my site and the YAF.

The reason that I am going this route is that I know my site will work (I can easily integrate my legacy code) with MySQL. Since only YAF is using SQL and YAF is regularly timing out, I don't know if it is SQL that is slow or YAF. Therefore, I would prefer not to risk SQL being slow and causing problems for the rest of my site... however, if I can get YAF to work to the membership that I am using on MySQL, then I have the best of both worlds. It really is a shame that YAF won't support MySQL natively.

I have even put YAF into its own process space within IIS, as at the moment, this is the only site that uses .NET 3.5 on my server. It still has problems. 😞
Sponsor
bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2011-01-15T12:51:15Z
I should warn you. The MySQL is not an official YAF datalayer and is a third-party add-on from me. So are Postgre and Firebird datalayers.
The 1.9.5.5 has major incompatibilities with other data layers.
There will be a custom version from me which supports various datalayers.

The provider for MySQL - it's a almost a standard MySql provider by structure with one major difference - it uses BINARY(16) OCTETS to store keys.

FanPilot
  •  FanPilot
  • 56.6% (Neutral)
2011-01-15T12:55:28Z
Hi,

How do I use the MySQL provider you have developed?

If I want to stick with SQL Server, can I split off the membership to another DB, such as the MySQL DB? If so, how would I do that?

On another note... I have just received 4 notification emails to this post.

bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2011-01-15T14:35:23Z
YAF uses standard providers and designed to use every standard provider.
Can't see a problem so far.
FanPilot
  •  FanPilot
  • 56.6% (Neutral)
2011-01-15T15:05:14Z
OK, so what should I do to use the MySQL membership from a YAF point of view?

I just received another 4 emails informing me of your reply.
Vasaka
  •  Vasaka
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling
2011-07-19T15:21:01Z
Bumping this thread. Need help with using MySql as membership provider.
My own... experiments had no result.

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.