PaulK
  •  PaulK
  • 52.4% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2010-11-14T08:26:07Z
Hi,

We are using 1.9.5 RC1. I have enabled file attachments (jpg only) and set the image resize to 400 pixels, but when a picture is attached the 'thumbnail' it generates is squashed to a square and the image distorted on portrait format pictures. On landscape format pictures the thumbnail is proportional and looks OK. This also applies to the albums.

Anyone know how I can cure this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Paul.
Sponsor
cagliostro
2010-11-14T08:48:04Z
Let's see
cagliostro attached the following image(s):

cagliostro
2010-11-14T08:59:23Z
Yeap, you are right.

It shows well in all type (vertical and horizontal i think) photos.

The same goes for the users pictures gallery cover/thumbs.
cagliostro attached the following image(s):

cagliostro
2010-11-14T09:48:44Z
I'm not sure if it only happens to portait photos (vertical).
cagliostro
2010-11-14T12:42:48Z
I have a suggestion to make for the thumbnails, in forums and the member gallery.

Since image thumbnails could be more than one attached, and have different sizes, the thumbnails are different in width and hight.

What i see happening in most other galleries, is to produce a thumbnail with the same width and hight so they all can be the same. A perfect square. Some image is cut of cource in the thumbnail.

I don't know if i'm clear in what i say, here is a demo for a customer i'b bulding

http://new.kartingnews.gr/default.asp?iId=JMIMK 

Here is the code:
File Attachment(s):
showThumb.aspx (8kb) downloaded 46 time(s).

PaulK
  •  PaulK
  • 52.4% (Neutral)
2010-11-14T13:08:11Z
Hi,

If it is a very narrow portrait picture it seems to work! But not on an average shaped picture (2nd Picture Below):
PaulK attached the following image(s):
PaulK
  •  PaulK
  • 52.4% (Neutral)
2010-11-14T13:19:56Z
Hi,

Sorry, I didn't notice you had made a suggestion before I posted my images.

My problem is a lot of the people using our forum don't understand how to crop and resize pictures and all they want to do is take a picture on their mobile or digital camera and upload from their computer. Many are first time forum users. I have tried explaining how to use photo sharing services, some get it, some don't. Trying to explain about making a square picture for their album covers would be impossible!

I haven't enabled the image upload feature yet as they will not understand why their picture looks squished.

I see your square gallery sample that has cropped the images and that would probably be acceptable. Unfortunately I wouldn't have a clue what to do with the code you attached, If it's not in the user settings then it is beyond me.

Thanks,

Paul.
tha_watcha
2010-11-14T14:42:05Z
Quote:

What i see happening in most other galleries, is to produce a thumbnail with the same width and hight so they all can be the same. A perfect square. Some image is cut of cource in the thumbnail.

Agree, i commited a change to repository. All Images have now the same size Width and Height that is defined as Max image resize.

EDIT: Rolled back the changes. It was much worse looking. I have to rewrite this completely.

I already did something like this before .
UserPostedImage
cagliostro
2010-11-14T14:57:31Z
Originally Posted by: PaulK 

Hi,

Sorry, I didn't notice you had made a suggestion before I posted my images.

My problem is a lot of the people using our forum don't understand how to crop and resize pictures and all they want to do is take a picture on their mobile or digital camera and upload from their computer. Many are first time forum users. I have tried explaining how to use photo sharing services, some get it, some don't. Trying to explain about making a square picture for their album covers would be impossible!

I haven't enabled the image upload feature yet as they will not understand why their picture looks squished.

I see your square gallery sample that has cropped the images and that would probably be acceptable. Unfortunately I wouldn't have a clue what to do with the code you attached, If it's not in the user settings then it is beyond me.

Thanks,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

The code wasn't for you (or for me). It was as a sample code, if anybody needed it.

Since the thumbnails are for the visitor to get a RAUGH idea of what the image is about, a small loss of the thumbnail width or height seems to be ok. The full and uncut image is available for the popup. That way all thumbs are equal and visualy attractive in the forum post.

I see below, that tha_watcha liked my suggestion and hopefully added it to the code.

cheers to all

👍

tha_watcha
2010-11-15T14:35:09Z
Ok Preview Images working now correctly.

By default there are resized with correct aspect ratio using max width and height.
Or you use the new Setting "Crop Image Attachment Preview" - Crop the Preview of the Image and use max Dimensions as Image Size
tha_watcha attached the following image(s):

UserPostedImage
PaulK
  •  PaulK
  • 52.4% (Neutral)
2010-11-15T14:41:53Z
That is excellent.

Thank you very much,

Paul.

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.