JP
  •  JP
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Leader
2013-01-15T20:46:48Z
MVC4 is the current version, so I think MVC3 is a bit overdue for any new development if there should be any efforts in that direction w Razor instead of WebForms for YAF... I do my own site in MVC4 now, but I did start it out with MVC3 last summer... Had to redo/rethink a couple of things when updated, but MVC4 & .Net Framework 4.5 does it much better than MVC3 & 4.0...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Zero2Cool
2013-08-29T22:38:50Z
Originally Posted by: JP 

MVC4 is the current version, so I think MVC3 is a bit overdue for any new development if there should be any efforts in that direction w Razor instead of WebForms for YAF... I do my own site in MVC4 now, but I did start it out with MVC3 last summer... Had to redo/rethink a couple of things when updated, but MVC4 & .Net Framework 4.5 does it much better than MVC3 & 4.0...



MVC4 would be excellent indeededly.
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer Topic Starter
2013-08-30T00:43:36Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Originally Posted by: JP 

MVC4 is the current version, so I think MVC3 is a bit overdue for any new development if there should be any efforts in that direction w Razor instead of WebForms for YAF... I do my own site in MVC4 now, but I did start it out with MVC3 last summer... Had to redo/rethink a couple of things when updated, but MVC4 & .Net Framework 4.5 does it much better than MVC3 & 4.0...



MVC4 would be excellent indeededly.



Agreed. The view system is indeed ready for an upgrade.
Zero2Cool
2013-08-30T02:28:56Z
Originally Posted by: Jaben 

Agreed. The view system is indeed ready for an upgrade.



I wish I had more coding experience so I could contribute if there's a milestone set for that. I'm still a noob with MVC though.
bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2013-08-30T13:14:21Z
Opinion: MVC4 with WebForms. Maybe Web API. But needs perfomance check.
No need to upgrade what works fine just because it's new and gives nothing except a pain in the ass.
Umbraco 5 comes to mind.
Zero2Cool
2013-08-30T14:56:52Z
Originally Posted by: bbobb 

Opinion: MVC4 with WebForms. Maybe Web API. But needs perfomance check.
No need to upgrade what works fine just because it's new and gives nothing except a pain in the ass.
Umbraco 5 comes to mind.



Can you explain what you mean MVC4 doesn't give you anything over web forms and explain how it's more difficult to maintain than web forms?
bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2013-08-30T15:12:35Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 


Can you explain what you mean MVC4 doesn't give you anything over web forms and explain how it's more difficult to maintain than web forms?


What view engines can be used with MVC4? 🙂


Zero2Cool
2013-08-30T15:14:25Z
Originally Posted by: bbobb 

What view engines can be used with MVC4? 🙂



You mean like, Razor?
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer Topic Starter
2013-08-30T18:50:03Z
Originally Posted by: bbobb 

Opinion: MVC4 with WebForms. Maybe Web API. But needs perfomance check.
No need to upgrade what works fine just because it's new and gives nothing except a pain in the ass.
Umbraco 5 comes to mind.



Agreed. I personally *really* like razor. But am fine with WebForms if it means code reuse. WebAPI or Simple.Web (http://blog.markrendle.net/2012/06/01/simple-web/ ) would be the way to go to convert the existing AJAX stuff to proper REST API stuff.

Stuff on my YAF.NET todo list:

1. Finish the plugin architecture -- this would help with design decisions going forward.
2. Minification
3. API
4. Open for discussion: Convert to Bootstrap CSS (with tons of existing themes) and Controls -- also less use of JQuery UI.
5. MVC design that would minimize use of web form pages and specifically logic in the web forms.
6. NuGet gallery for YAF.NET plugins and themes.
Zero2Cool
2013-08-30T19:28:48Z
Originally Posted by: Jaben 

Stuff on my YAF.NET todo list:

1. Finish the plugin architecture -- this would help with design decisions going forward.
2. Minification
3. API
4. Open for discussion: Convert to Bootstrap CSS (with tons of existing themes) and Controls -- also less use of JQuery UI.
5. MVC design that would minimize use of web form pages and specifically logic in the web forms.
6. NuGet gallery for YAF.NET plugins and themes.



Not that I am asking you to explain yourself to me, but I would like to help somehow and if you could elaborate a little more on the items perhaps I could? I really love YAF and in anyway that I can help, I'd like to.



  1. Plugin architecture for something like TapaTalk?
  2. Minification? shrink lines of code?
  3. API ... what would the intent/goal be?
  4. I think from what you've said about Bootstrap, this would be HUGE for YAF.
  5. My experience with MVC is that it's quite nice and very good for code reuse. Also, I think it might shorten up URL's too.
  6. I no ziltch about nuget, I be useless here lol

bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2013-08-31T06:13:07Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Minification? shrink lines of code?


Highly probably this is simply rewriting fast custom code into slow generic.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 


  • My experience with MVC is that it's quite nice and very good for code reuse.


  • ... and more time consuming to develop too.

    Anyway, there will be an alternative.
    manisha147
    2016-11-29T03:58:01Z
    I'm not precisely beyond any doubt now. I can't shoot for it to be a definitive BB - I truly don't have that sort of time. The issue is there are heaps of gaps. To be perfectly honest, I would prefer not to fill them all. I am cheerful that a couple people (who are exceptionally useful) can make this thing work great and fill some of these voids. Yet, I am additionally an extremely bustling man – I simply would prefer not to see YAF bite the dust and I will help when I can, however not to the detriment of my life.

    About Us

    The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.

    Powered by Resharper Donate with PayPal button

    Project Twitter Updates

    Copyright © YetAnotherForum.NET & Ingo Herbote. All rights reserved