bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2012-02-12T12:01:53Z
I didn't look in the feature. Just curious - is there a reson for duplicationg functionality in 2 places?
It surely leads to bugs and possible security problems.
tha_watcha
2012-02-12T13:36:08Z
Originally Posted by: bbobb 

I didn't look in the feature. Just curious - is there a reson for duplicationg functionality in 2 places?
It surely leads to bugs and possible security problems.

No there is no reason, I just don't had time to merge the code to one place. There are still many other things to take care of. I merge the code soon.
UserPostedImage
JP
  •  JP
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Leader Topic Starter
2012-02-12T17:15:13Z
I have big problems getting past #4 in the instructions on codeplex.

1 - App Domain needs to be a domain, xxx.yyy.net/forum will not work.
Have tried to set it up as forum.yyy.net, but cant get that to work either...

2 - Can't find any checkbox allowing Facebook users to log on in the create App dialog, nor while editing app.
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
tha_watcha
2012-02-12T17:23:16Z
Originally Posted by: JP 

I have big problems getting past #4 in the instructions on codeplex.

1 - App Domain needs to be a domain, xxx.yyy.net/forum will not work.
Have tried to set it up as forum.yyy.net, but cant get that to work either...

2 - Can't find any checkbox allowing Facebook users to log on in the create App dialog, nor while editing app.

1. Simply set it to your app domain yyy.net

2. I updated the Documentation
UserPostedImage
JP
  •  JP
  • 100% (Exalted)
2012-02-12T19:37:15Z
Done that, still no FB login button for the forum... 😕

Think I'll wait with this...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
tha_watcha
2012-02-13T00:15:55Z

Done that, still no FB login button for the forum... 😕

Think I'll wait with this...

If you add both keys to the app.config and enable SSO in the host settings it should be visible, maybe a application restart is required.
UserPostedImage
JP
  •  JP
  • 100% (Exalted)
2012-02-13T16:32:21Z
Some days I should not ask questions here, but I live by my signature and rather be a fool a shorter time than forever. 😁

😊 😊 😊

Hope I can give you some amusement by telling you that I had...
...forgotten to uncomment the Facebook add keys in app.config...🙄 😂
JP
  •  JP
  • 100% (Exalted)
2012-02-13T17:24:11Z
Using IE9. (Edit - also with FF 10.0.1)

Ok - trying to log in via Facebook login. FB login to app shows fine.

1 - Email address not found - changed email on an existing account.

2 - This time, Facebook user ID invalid the login says - changed to what I think is my FB ID.

3 - This time, popup with Error Occured shows...

Which field in the FB profile is read as FB user ID? The display name or the facebook.com/"username" name?

I can also add that I have "friends only" set in my FB profile.
Home town is there too.

So I kinda almost make it, could this be related to the same problem as f0zzyNUE had?
JP attached the following image(s):

tha_watcha
2012-02-14T00:14:14Z
Quote:

Which field in the FB profile is read as FB user ID? The display name or the facebook.com/"username" name?

I described it at the CodePlex Documentation

Quote:

How To Retrieve the Facebook User ID
https://graph.facebook.com/your_user_name 

• Replace your_user_name with your current Facebook user name, if you have already customize your Facebook Profile URL.[/list]

• UserPostedImage
    JP
    •  JP
    • 100% (Exalted)
    2012-02-14T18:00:25Z
    Yes, I know... Without your document I would not have gotten this far... 👍
    But this was not the issue, since I already have my FB ID in my forum profile....

I've got it to work with a small test... And found an issue or minor "design flaw" - If I may put it that bluntly.

Suggestion for improvement of Facebook sign in routine:

The Facebook routine only reads the default email address in the Facebook profile.
    I expected it to read the email addresses in the FB profile.

Since many (including myself) use different email addresses for different purposes, the email used for the forum may
    be another - Let's say you use your gmail for Facebook primary email and your ISP mail service for the forum.

In Facebook you can have several alternate email addresses in your profile where one can be the one used in the forum,
    so I suggest that the Facebook login routine is modified a bit to work at its best.

Have 2 ideas regarding ways on how to solve this little issue:

1 - The YAF routine scans all email addresses in the Facebook user profile and matches them to the forum email address in the user profile.

2 - Add a "Your Facebook primary email account" in the forum user profile which is matched if the first check towards the forum email account does not match.
    This is of course not to be shown to others than the forum profile owner (and maybe administrators)...

#1 is the "true Facebook integration" way, and #2 is the "Forum integration" way... 2 different mindsets to solve the issue.

I know, some may not think of this as an issue but I know many of my users use different email accounts for different
    purposes. I myself have different primary email addresses for Ebay, PayPal, Forum & Facebook...
    tha_watcha
    2012-02-15T00:22:24Z
    1. Only the main email address is provided for apps via facebook graph api, there is now way to grab alternate email addresses.

2. No sorry that doesn't work in a ASP.NET Membership the only way to validate a user is by username or email address, using a profile field does not work. Because the user name and email address fields are both unique, otherwise a second user could insert the same email address and login with your account.

Sorry but the current solution is the only solution that will work.
    UserPostedImage
    JP
    •  JP
    • 100% (Exalted)
    2012-02-15T18:46:50Z
    Ok, thanks for the explanation. Makes sense, and I understand the limititions.

Just an additional question, can I have the same FB ID in 2 user profiles or is it a field that is regarded as unique in the DB keys/indexes?

Next step in my tests is to try to register via Facebook.
    tha_watcha
    2012-02-16T00:12:15Z

Ok, thanks for the explanation. Makes sense, and I understand the limititions.

Just an additional question, can I have the same FB ID in 2 user profiles or is it a field that is regarded as unique in the DB keys/indexes?

Yes that is possible.

UserPostedImage
    Dr-Hack
    2012-02-16T15:51:24Z
    nothing for users with DNN and YAF ?
    tha_watcha
    2012-02-16T16:04:06Z
    Originally Posted by: Dr-Hack 

nothing for users with DNN and YAF ?

No, it would need an extra logic to handle facebook users and dnn/yaf. But currently bug fixing is more important then new features.
    UserPostedImage

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.