Dimi
  •  Dimi
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF All-the-Time Topic Starter
2011-03-21T21:33:21Z
I configured one forum to be read only for all groups except Administrator. The Administrator has the Administrator access and the role is confirmed to allow everything! Well, when I open the forum there are no any traces of Post a new message or start a new topic. Is is a bug or feature? I don't want to open access to all others, it's a special "Forum Announces" forum and the only one person to be able to post to this sub-forum is me. Is it because I also added myself to Registered Users and these permissions override my Admin permissions? In what order you guys read and summarize all the permissions? I guess you should read Administrator the very last to override all the previous permissions if any exist.

It is strange - I removed myself from all other groups leaving only Administrator and it didn't help. There is no way to post in the forum. Funny!
Dimi
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Dimi
  •  Dimi
  • 100% (Exalted)
2011-03-22T21:43:47Z
Originally Posted by: Dimi 

I configured one forum to be read only for all groups except Administrator. The Administrator has the Administrator access and the role is confirmed to allow everything! Well, when I open the forum there are no any traces of Post a new message or start a new topic. Is is a bug or feature? I don't want to open access to all others, it's a special "Forum Announces" forum and the only one person to be able to post to this sub-forum is me. Is it because I also added myself to Registered Users and these permissions override my Admin permissions? In what order you guys read and summarize all the permissions? I guess you should read Administrator the very last to override all the previous permissions if any exist.

It is strange - I removed myself from all other groups leaving only Administrator and it didn't help. There is no way to post in the forum. Funny!

It gets even much worse. The latest version 1.5.5.5, there is a sub-forum that should be editable and readable only to one group of users + Admin as usual. Ok, permissions are set. I'm admin and I'm included into the required role as well. In addition to the default forum roles I have added 3 more roles to add moderators to 3 sub-forums. I'm not included into these moderator groups since I'm admin and I should be able to work with any forums by default. But I added myself the required role to make sure that I'm able to see and edit the sub-forum mentioned above. It doesn't work! I can't even open this sub-forum being Administrator and Forum Admin as well! The forum shows that it's not accessible for me. If I check the box to hide unaccessible forum it disappeares at all. Bravo!

Guys, you need to review how you read and apply the roles! There is a seriuos bug there!

Dimi
UserPostedImage
bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2011-03-22T22:12:49Z
Dimi
  •  Dimi
  • 100% (Exalted)
2011-03-22T22:47:05Z
Originally Posted by: bbobb 

Not confirmed.

Do you want me to provide a detailed description?

I suppose you can create a new Role, then create a new sub-forum and assign it only to this Role. All others should be non-accessible. Then play with this sub-forum as Admin.
Dimi
UserPostedImage
tha_watcha
2011-03-23T07:51:12Z
Did you set up the Access Masks correctly.
tha_watcha attached the following image(s):

UserPostedImage
Dimi
  •  Dimi
  • 100% (Exalted)
2011-03-23T07:56:33Z
Originally Posted by: tha_watcha 

Did you set up the Access Masks correctly.

Admin has access to everything. But even Admin is unable to see this forum, I'm not even telling about posting to it. Maybe it's somehow my fault, but it looks very strange anyway.
Dimi
UserPostedImage
Dimi
  •  Dimi
  • 100% (Exalted)
2011-03-23T10:00:14Z
Ok, it doesn't hurt to send the screen shots here.

Anything else?
Dimi attached the following image(s):

Dimi
UserPostedImage
bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2011-03-23T10:53:25Z

I suppose you can create a new Role,

I can...

then create a new sub-forum and assign it only to this Role.

I can't. An Access Mask for a role can be assigned to a forum, not a role.
Sorry, until someone else will confirm it, I think that the problem doesn't exist.
dillegummin
2011-03-23T15:47:09Z
Maybe you are also experiencing cache problems?

Do you have many registered users? Have you tried to clear the contents of the ActiveAccess table?

Though this seems a bit strange if you have made a brand new subforum.

I had a bit of a hard time really understanding how you have set it up. You need to set the access mask correct for the actual subforum. If you have not set your administrators role to have access in the access mask you will not see it (or post or edit).

Judging from your screenshot the Administrators group has Admin Access Mask active. The next question would then be how does the Admin Access Mask look under Users and Roles?

I am not able to recreate this on my installation. If I create a subforum, and only give admins access to it, this works fine. Also if I give a different group access and do not particularly give admins the access mask I will not see it. And that is how it should work.
Dimi
  •  Dimi
  • 100% (Exalted)
2011-03-23T22:42:43Z
Originally Posted by: dillegummin 

Maybe you are also experiencing cache problems?

Do you have many registered users? Have you tried to clear the contents of the ActiveAccess table?

Though this seems a bit strange if you have made a brand new subforum.

I had a bit of a hard time really understanding how you have set it up. You need to set the access mask correct for the actual subforum. If you have not set your administrators role to have access in the access mask you will not see it (or post or edit).

Judging from your screenshot the Administrators group has Admin Access Mask active. The next question would then be how does the Admin Access Mask look under Users and Roles?

I am not able to recreate this on my installation. If I create a subforum, and only give admins access to it, this works fine. Also if I give a different group access and do not particularly give admins the access mask I will not see it. And that is how it should work.

Yes, I realize that it should work this way, but...

It is a brand new sub-forum, there are no posts there. I don't have too many users, less than a hundred. The cache has been deleted and I set much shorter periods after I got a problem with the last registered user was not updating in the Statistics.
Dimi attached the following image(s):

Dimi
UserPostedImage
dillegummin
2011-03-24T14:23:08Z
But, how is your Access Mask set up?

(I think you have it named Admin Access)
dillegummin attached the following image(s):
Dimi
  •  Dimi
  • 100% (Exalted)
2011-03-24T21:37:25Z
Originally Posted by: dillegummin 

But, how is your Access Mask set up?

Exactly same way - all is Yes.

I switched to the master account, the one that I used to configure everything from the very beginning, and it works. There is something strange with this particular account. There is no visible difference between settings of these two accounts.
Dimi
UserPostedImage
sudeep
  •  sudeep
  • 51.8% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling
2011-06-03T05:28:39Z
There is a bug that doesn't automatically update user permissions when role/access masks are updated. Looks like this is going to be fixed in the next release 1.9.5.6: Mentioned here 

I am facing the same issue. To fix this, I am clearing the ActiveAccess table which stores all user permissions (it's a permission cache table), whenever a role or access mask is updated. Call "LegacyDB.activeaccess_reset()" on the respective save click events.

Alternatively, you can put this 'LegacyDB.activeaccess_reset()' on the Host Settings > Cache > Clear Cache button click event to have it cleared manually.

Hope this helps.

cvoong
2011-07-19T11:07:20Z
Nice one sudeep. This one had me scratching my head for the last couple of hours :)

I've also added a call to that method in ~/controls/EditUsersGroups.ascx.cs right at the end of the Save_Click method so changes are applied the moment I add/remove groups on a user.
nicksmith
2012-01-12T14:08:58Z
Thanks cvoong / sudeep - worked perfectly for me,

although it turned our to be 'LegacyDb.activeaccess_reset();' not 'LegacyDB.activeaccess_reset()' ;->

thanks
Again
Nick Smith

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.