whiteg
  •  whiteg
  • 59% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2008-04-28T04:00:26Z
Hello

I have a requirement. example: 2 Forums created - Forum1 and Forum2. Users registered with Forum1 must NOT be able to see Forum2 and visa versa.Is this possible?

I have been messing around with the Access Masks but it seems that all Members can see all Forums?

The basic idea is that when people log into my site, they will be taken to their Forum and not be able to see the other forums.

Many Thanks
Sponsor
Ederon
2008-04-28T04:06:24Z
You might need to create new access mask which grants no access (let's call it "No access"). To do it, go to admin > access masks - create new one and save it without checking single check box.

When creating new forum (or editing existing one), tick "hide if no access". Assign come other than "no access" mask to group(s) supposed to see this forum, rest should have "no access" mask.
When I post FP:Ederon in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting.
UserPostedImage 
whiteg
  •  whiteg
  • 59% (Neutral)
2008-04-28T04:15:32Z
Thanks for the quick reply.

Does that mean I would need to create a new group for every forum? The reason I ask is that the atchitecture of the solution calls for about 3000 different forums because each forum is very specific to the geographical location of its members. Im assuming this shouldnt be a problem for the database.
Ederon
2008-04-28T05:33:09Z
No, no need to create group for each forum. Just by default, give each (but admin) "no access" mask, then go to the forum (as if you were going to post there), click "moderate" button next to "new topic" one, and "invite users". This way you can grant permissions to single users without need to create groups for that.
When I post FP:Ederon in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting.
UserPostedImage 
whiteg
  •  whiteg
  • 59% (Neutral)
2008-04-28T05:55:26Z
um.. ok - but I need to do this programatically. When a user registers on my site, I need to run some stored procs to register them with the forum so that when they log in to my site, they will be able to access their forum. Im using SQLMembership provider to authenticate the user on my site. I see the latest version is using the SQLMembership provider. Perhaps I should test on the latest version?

My plan was to try and get this to work manually through the GUI and then see which values were placed in which YAF tables and design my stored procs accordingly.

Many Thanks
Ederon
2008-04-28T06:03:42Z
All you need is to call this sproc
EXEC [dbo].[yaf_userforum_save] @UserID, @ForumID, @AccessMaskID

in code, it's probably DB.userforum_save with the same parameters
UserPostedImage 

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.